AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-05-31 18:18:26

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Blue Buff Brahma project problem

Last year I bred my Blue Partridge rooster to my Buff Brahma hens and got some Blue Laced Buff Columbian pullets but no Blue Laced rooster. The roosters all ended up looking black/gold Buff Brahma. This year I bred those pullets back to a Blue Partridge rooster and the earliest chicks which are about 3 months old are starting to look their adult colours. But again it seems the males are all Black and Buff like regular Buff Brahmas. Some pullets are looking nice Blue Buff.

Is this just bad luck or is there something I'm missing? The standard Blue/Black/Splash rule should apply so maybe the blue is just too dark and appears black. It puzzles me.  Any ideas?

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#2 2017-05-31 22:26:30

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Blue Buff Brahma project problem

I think you need to breed more chicks to get that elusive blue rooster :D 
Although it's true, sometimes blue is so dark it looks black- but I think there's no green shine on a very dark blue chicken, as I understand it.

#3 2017-06-01 14:09:50

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I think a problem with green shine is type of black. The underlying black on Brahmas is eb so you don't get green shine without some other black intensifiers. If you look at Light Brahmas for instance the black is pretty flat. I think an issue might be I'm sexing the young birds based on the amount of red because male Buff Brahmas tend to be redder than females.  But the Blue probably mutes the red so the Blue Buff male juveniles may look the same as females until they develop maleness. I've got 72 now ranging from a week to 2 months but only 1/4 get the Blue Buff colour. Maybe I need to hatch some more agggggghhhh!

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#4 2017-06-02 13:13:14

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Out of 72 chicks, it would be very bad luck not to get a blue rooster!!!!
Cutting back, eh??? .veryfunny.

Board footer