AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-06-04 15:37:33

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

Confused and frustrated

I hatched a bunch of chicks last year,then added a few I bought that had been vaccinated for mareks. I just had a bird that died from that bunch tested. Sure enough. Mareks. Did my birds get Mareks from those vaccinated chicks? I lost more than half of that hatch but none of my older birds seemed to be affected. I have a closed flock. I would love to get some EO hatching eggs.  I have five broody hens right now. Do I incubate some eggs, vaccinate the chicks and then let the Broodies have them?  Do I take my chances and let the broody hens hatch them? Either way it is an expensive experiment. After reading a bunch on line I am more confused than ever. My understanding is that the vaccine does not prevent them from getting the disease, only from being killed by it. The vaccine has created a huge problem in that now all those birds that survived instead of dying are carriers. The genie is out of the bottle. Where to go from here.

enjoying a small flock of chickens Barnevelders Buff Sussex, Orpingtons Barred Rocks and Wyandottes and belgian malines,  with my husband, a golden retriever,black lab , one cat. and occasionally our 4 kids , their partners, and 6 grandchildren.

#2 2017-06-04 15:48:59

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Confused and frustrated

I think your only option might be as you say, hatch and vaccinate the new chicks. But I have no idea how long it would take between vaccinating the chicks, the development of immunity and being able to integrate them into the flock.

#3 2017-06-04 17:01:07

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Confused and frustrated

I suggest you hatch and hope for the best.  You can kind of get through it. They all don't die and from what people here and other forums say you eventually build resistance.

They probably didn't get Marek's from those vaccinated birds, it's prevalent in the environment, but vaccination only protects birds that are vaccinated so the rest are still vulnerable.

BTW - is it possible for home flock owners to vaccinate for Marek's? My understanding is the vaccine has to be kept in liquid nitrogen until used.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

Board footer