AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-06-06 03:31:37

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

Almost lost my house to fire

On Saturday afternoon, while I was waiting for chicks to hatch, I had to quickly evacuate my house because of a grass fire.  Some idiots had been burning in the ditches near my place last week, and didn't make sure the fire was out.  It was an entirely stupid thing to do.  We have been having horribly strong winds that gust even higher, rotate, and change directions, for more than a week.  Some straw in the ditch was smoldering and when the wind got up (about 80 kph) Saturday it fanned it into flames.  It was also really hot out.  The fence, pasture, and some trees on the north end of my property were burned.  It followed the grass around the dugout and was heading for the house when the fire department (volunteer) got it under control.  I have never had this kind of a close call before. It was scary and I sure don't want it to happen again.  I took my purse, me, and some of my house pets into the truck and went across the road until it was safe to come back.  My insurance won't cover that sort of damage.  The fire department tried to find out who was lighting the fire, but the people we suspect have denied it.  I am really upset and ticked off about this and I'm going to do what I can to find out who it was.  I saw the people from a distance, but don't know who they were.  I believe it was the farmer who owns the land across the highway from me.

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#2 2017-06-06 05:53:56

Tegaan
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Almost lost my house to fire

Glad things were not worse. Congrats on the chicks.

#3 2017-06-06 09:44:03

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

SO glad it wasn't worse!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#4 2017-06-06 10:02:03

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

That's too close for comfort.  Sorry that you are going through the stress of this and very happy to hear that you and yours are safe.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#5 2017-06-06 11:25:22

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Doesn't take long for a fool to mess up your day.  Had a similar thing happen once.  Dumba$$ with the farm next to my Grandparents sent a teenager out to burn piles of old potato tops with nothing but a propane lighter.  Sets the fires and then leaves.  Just so happened we were working out back so we saw it head for the trees.   Fought it ourselves until the volunteer fire department showed up.  If that had gotten down over the hillside (into steep terrain) it would have been horrible to deal with.  Don't think anything was done to moron.

Glad yours had a happy ending too.

Black Ameraucana

#6 2017-06-06 11:30:06

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

Yikes! Glad it was OK in the end but far too close for comfort. Hopefully the perpetrators learned their lesson!

#7 2017-06-06 11:50:13

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Fire can wipe you out in an instant.  Out here, it is a 20 minute drive from the fire department.  We lost a neighbor house to a lightning strike just a few years back.  The fear is real and tangible.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#8 2017-06-06 20:54:12

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

Remember this  from last year? How on earth does this happen?
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world … ish-island

And I get so frustrated when it takes me forever to get a fire started in the woodstove with newspaper, dry kindling, dry wood and a BBQ lighter. :tantrum:

#9 2017-06-06 23:22:51

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

About 10 years ago I got a call at work from our neighbour who said we better get home because the fire department thought our house was going up. We drove home in a panic as as we got closer we could see big clouds of smoke on the horizon. When we got home there were 4 fire trucks on our lawn and a score of Bush buggys racing around our pasture.  The neighbour a mile away across the valley was burning trash and turned around to find a 6 ft wall of flames behind him. He best it out of there and called the fire department. As it turned out there was some type of regional meeting going on in Strathmore and 4 fire department responded including a huge pumper truck out of Calgary that was spraying down our house.. The fire reached the bottom of our garden and slowed in the short grass, then the wind changed and the fire turned north toward a row of acerages up our road. About that time another neighbour showed up with a 60 ft disc and began plowing a fire guard along those acerages.  With no where further to go the fire department was able to get the fire under control. In all it burned through 6 quarters of mostly grass land but miraculously no houses or livestock was lost.  All the fences had to be replaced but his insurance paid for it.  I never thought I'd see a row of fence posts on a barbed wire fence all burning like torches.

I can totally sympathize with you Shnookie, it's not something anyone should have to go through.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#10 2017-06-07 03:14:27

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

The volunteer fire department that services this area is 25 minutes from here in a normal vehicle, but it can take them a lot longer to get people together and drive here.  They were short handed Saturday too so it made it harder for them to fight the fire.

I saw the guys who lit the fire both days - they started it on Tuesday and again on Thursday last week.  It's really dry around here and is always windy, but more so the last few weeks.  The fire was left unsupervised several times and was not properly put out.  Unfortunately I could not identify either of them - they were too far away.  The fire department and I suspect it is the guy who farms the quarter across from me, or people who work for him, that lit the fires.  When the fire department talked to him about it, he denied that he did it.  There is no one else that would want the straw in the ditch burned.  The ditch is next to his quarter.  The fire department was called out on Wednesday and Friday to deal with hot spots.  I had no idea until I talked to the Fire Chief yesterday.  They used chemical foam to put the fire out.  Some got in the dugout I use for water, and lots is in the ground where the fire was.  Now I don't know if my water is safe for drinking so I'm using bottled water for me and the animals.  I called a lab in Saskatoon to find out more about the risks of the chemical, but no one has called back yet.

Get this.  I talked to the RCMP today to see if there could be any charges applied if I could find out who lit the fire.  They told me even if I find out, no charges could be applied because my fire is considered a "separate incident".  Because the fire department deemed the fire to be "out" on the first two trips, there is no way it caused mine.  Serious!
So I can't even go after anyone for compensation for damages unless I can find out who it is.  The fire department will be billing for the three calls, whenever they identify the culprit.  Farmers should have fire and liability insurance so I don't know why they wouldn't admit to doing it.  I suspect immature losers who have never had to be responsible for their actions.

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#11 2017-06-07 10:48:36

Journey's End

So glad you didn't lose it all. It sucks when nothing will be done to the idiots. Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#12 2017-06-07 13:08:04

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Yikes! Some people should not be allowed out of the house!

Board footer