AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-06-15 22:21:46

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Power outage miracle babies

This past weekend we had a sale in Fort McLeod on Friday and Saturday. Friday morning I was hurrying to get things ready, Birds loaded etc and I checked my Brinsea which was humming along nicely. I didn't check it Saturday, it was an earlier start and I just had time for my chores. Sunday midday while putting things away I noticed no fan noise coming from the incubator.  Sometime between Friday morning and Sunday afternoon the switch on the power bar had been turned off. It must have happened Friday morning when I was carrying some stuff because it was unlikely that anyone else would have been in there. I turned it  back although the eggs were stone cold after being shut off for over 48 hours.  I transferred them to the Hatcher on Tuesday and today I've had 2/20 hatch. Hard to believe but I peered through the window this morning and there were broken egg shells and 2 fuzzy butts. I'm going to leave the rest of the eggs for a couple more days but I'm more than happy with this.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#2 2017-06-15 22:59:48

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Power outage miracle babies

:Congrats2:

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#3 2017-06-15 23:59:28

susanr

Awesome :thumbsup:  Some of those embryos are much tougher than we think.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#4 2017-06-16 02:20:04

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

Good luck! I don't know what it is about incubators, but it seems to me that a loaded incubator is a magnet for power failures of all kinds.

#5 2017-06-16 03:53:57

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

im up to 3 new, they are behind by about how long the power was out. but i dont expect any more.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#6 2017-06-16 09:12:41

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

That's amazing that any of them hatched.  Such a great happy story.  Perhaps you will be surprised and another one or two will end up making their way out of the shell.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#7 2017-06-17 18:42:13

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Another hatched overnight - that's 4.

The real test comes next week. There were 2 trays in the incubator and the second is due Wednesday.

#8 2017-06-17 23:36:34

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

https://s19.postimg.org/6mw1jp43n/IMG_6075.jpg

#9 2017-06-18 00:39:18

La Farmer Gal

:thumbsup: Awesome!!!

Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and a few mixies.

#10 2017-06-18 10:33:27

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Hello babies!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#11 2017-06-18 12:33:09

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Awesome!  in my experience some eggs are just so powerfully determined to hatch almost nothing will stop them. Had an egg carton of turkey eggs I dropped and most of them dented but wouldn't you know with careful watch of humidity in incubator most of them hatched!

Down to my last five eggs to hatch next week then the incubator gets turned off and it is time to clean up.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#12 2017-06-18 12:46:51

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

This is wonderful news.  Determined little babies.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#13 2017-06-18 13:55:30

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Believe it or not I had another yesterday afternoon. That's now 5. Four are Black or Blue Marans, that is 4/5 Marans eggs.

1 is a Buff Brahma out of 9 Brahma eggs but the only one from that hen.

There were also 8 Silkie eggs none of which hatched. I wonder if it's a function of egg size? The Marans are extra large, the Brahma are regular large size eggs but the Silkies are small.

#14 2017-06-20 21:12:08

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Lucky, tough babies! :Congrats2:

In a disagreement with another hen over a nest, I had a sitting broody abandon her nest of eggs about one week away from hatch time. I saved what I thought were all the eggs but when I thoroughly cleaned the nest box a couple of days later, I found two I had missed. I put them under mum-hen and one hatched a few days later! We were having very warm temperatures at the time so maybe that helped keep one alive while out of the nest? Cool to see regardless. )>...

I haven't hatched very many just some Booted Bantams, a couple of Icelandics, silkies and now, finally, I have two sitting sebrights. It took forever for them to go broody. I wanted to try hen-brooding these because I had problems getting them to hatch well in the incubator. I think I had humidity too high. I have a nest of goldens and a nest of silvers. I can't wait to see them hatched!

It was a spring of experimenting. I had some hatch and grow up with the flock which worked out pretty well. I had some in the Brinsea which I woefully neglected (low humidity and only hand turning). They all hatched beautifully within two days of each and were several days early. And now waiting on the broody sebright experiment. The first attempt was disastrous. As soon as the hen heard chicks peeping in the shell she would start pecking at the egg and killed most of them. I only managed to rescue one who has been growing up as a pet on the deck and in the living room.

I have a friend who is taking most of my chicks this year for her new property, yay and, I have to downsize a little before next winter. Last winter was too much.

Last edited by Sunfeathers (2017-06-20 21:14:59)

Board footer