AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-05-31 22:34:25

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

How late in the season do you allow broodies to hatch eggs?

Well I have another broody, I caved and put her on 10 eggs. Will it get too hot for those eggs to incubate properly? I'm looking at a June 21st hatch. This is the last clutch for the season. I have 20 chicks already, I really don't need more, but......  ****These are my last words, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!****
I really really want a pea combed  ( Buckeye x Cornish ) x (Buckeye x Red sex  link)  cockerel and it looks like all the chicks so far are pullets!  :duh: Weird.

#2 2017-05-31 23:37:05

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Re: How late in the season do you allow broodies to hatch eggs?

I have hatched (or the lady did) up to mid September!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#3 2017-05-31 23:58:07

niglefritz

:agreezz: Mine too!

:veryfunny: Whatever you want is usually the most illusive. I have 4 new BCM, all 4 blue, which I wanted. I also wanted pullets. What do you want to bet that they will all be cockerels?

FOCUS: blue JG FUN: RIR, copper marans, silkies, guinea, muscovy, IR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#4 2017-06-01 00:28:09

Journey's End

I hatch straight through April to September. No troubles.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#5 2017-06-01 12:07:36

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Thanks! Well I will just keep hatching until I get that rooster! Niglefritz I hope you get your pullets.

#6 2017-06-01 13:51:11

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Our weather here is usually pretty good up until the end of October so I usually want to stop hatching so that the last chicks are 4 - 6 weeks old before then. So the last I would set is first of September. This year I plan to stop before that. I am cutting back.... I am cutting back.... I am cutting back... x0x x0x x0x

Last edited by shaneb99 (2017-06-01 13:51:41)

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#7 2017-06-01 14:22:21

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

:veryfunny:

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#8 2017-06-04 16:04:30

Blue Hill Farm
A.C.E. Addicted

I let my clucks hatch all summer long, but break any (or rather attempt too, lol) come fall. I don't like to go into winter with too young of birds, mainly because I don't provide heat, just insulated buildings and lots of deep litter to keep everyone cold weather hardy. =)

~ Working with Ameraucanas

#9 2017-06-04 22:32:25

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Good point about young birds going into winter. I set eggs under the last broody hen for the season on Saturday. So the chicks will be 5-6 months old before really cold weather hits (although Southern Ontario cold is not really that cold any more).

#10 2017-06-04 23:38:44

OC
Growing Member

It really is more about how late in to fall do you want to raise young chicks.
The hens seem to have very little trouble hatching chicks in the summer time, less then incubators anyway.

#11 2017-06-05 00:50:14

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

I was a little concerned that it could get too hot in the summertime- thinking the eggs would cook under the broody hen in July- but it appears that's not a problem!

#12 2017-06-05 17:25:49

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

The hen's body temperature stays constant and she cools herself by panting like a dog. Even in southern Ontario I don't think you get many days over 37.5c. Oh and now that Robbie has predicted a warm winter get ready. :veryfunny:

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#13 2017-06-18 23:31:02

Deltamaq
Growing Member

:iagree: We find in the broody cage it is cooler and dimmer than outside where the wild birds are nesting so have never had an overheating issue.

#14 2017-06-19 00:56:22

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Deltamaq wrote:

:iagree: We find in the broody cage it is cooler and dimmer than outside where the wild birds are nesting so have never had an overheating issue.

I would not have thought that north of the Arctic circle, overheating could ever  be a problem!

Board footer