AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-05-29 16:37:04

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Horses and kitty litter.

Horse Daughter has large, young warmblood here, penned up 24/7 in an attempt to heal a broken coffin bone. So far that is NOT going very well. The horse is miserable. ALl she does is eat but she looks like an SPCA case. She has lost all muscle mass, her huge hips jut out, especially on the side that she limps on. It upsets me to look at her.

But the question is about stall management.

We put down a layer of crusher chips, to lift the bottom of the stall out of the mud. Inch thick rubber mats were placed over this. Horse Daughter throws down a layer of shavings, which she brings in in bales. She could get free cedar shavings but she wants white wood so she has to buy it. (this is a very $$$$ attempt to heal a very $$$$ horse!)

That stall has to be cleaned every day (and it is) because it takes no time for the horse to churn it into a mucky, poopy, pee sogged mess. All the horse does is turn in circles. That's all she CAN do in there! A HUGE amount of white wood chips are being piled on the poo pile, but they do not seem to be heating or composting at all. I am NOT excited to have great piles of this bedding kicking around forever, but that's another topic...

THe question: would throwing several handfuls (or shovels) of kitty littler help to 'clump' the horse mess and keep it from churning so much of the shavings into muck? Or would it just ad a greasy, slippery, mess over the rubber mats?

If it would help with smell and hold moisture, I think tossing in some kittly litter might help the shavings go further as maybe less would have to be scraped out and tossed. But if it's going to become slick and greasy and maybe a danger for the horse to stand on, then we won't even try it.

Your thoughts?

#2 2017-05-29 18:48:17

susanr

Re: Horses and kitty litter.

Not sure about kitty litter.  I know the clumping stuff I use for my inside cats gets very slippery when soaking wet (hubby has had to use some to add traction for the truck when the ground gets slick.  Perhaps peat moss?   :confused:  Absorbs a LOT of moisture and doesn't get slippery when wet.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2017-05-29 19:04:56

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

There's a place in our garden where I dumped out some kitty litter. I've worked it in but everytime it gets wet it turns into a greasy, slippery mess. I think it's some type of clay that absorbs moisture well but takes forever to dry out. Given that most litter boxes have several pounds of litter and cats only pee a few ounces at a time I'd say you'd need a couple hundred pounds for a horse.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#4 2017-05-29 21:56:54

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

Regular el cheapo kitty litter is clay, slick when wet, and I have no idea what that clumping stuff is but it's super slick when wet. I don't think kitty litter would work very well. How about those softwood bedding  pellets? They did not work well for me as chicken litter, since I muck out daily, and the pellets were impossible to separate out from the poop.  but if I was using the deep litter method or if I had horses I would use them. They absorb more water than regular shavings, they break down into very fine pieces, and have zero dust. They are a bit slick for footing though, that might be an issue although if you mixed them with regular shavings that could work.

#5 2017-05-30 00:57:56

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Can you access a product called stall dry?

Another option is peat moss.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#6 2017-05-30 05:11:34

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Stall dry or peat moss would be my recommendations as well.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers   www.partridgechanteclers.com
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - www.lakelandchickengroup.com

#7 2017-05-30 06:58:06

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Hadn't thought of peat moss ..... will pass this on. Thanks!

#8 2017-05-30 12:59:17

confused
A.C.E. Addicted

It's too bad you need the rubber matting there. It probably stops any drainage from happening.

#9 2017-05-30 13:18:54

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

I've heard that people use the wood pellets (Like the ones made for pellet stoves).  Supposedly, they absorb a lot of water.

Black Ameraucana

#10 2017-05-30 13:28:13

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Have you considered tieing it like you would in a tie stall? Horse daughter could come each day and walk it around for a bit of exercise but for most of the day it would just be tied. That would help with the churning mess as well as the healing of the foot and the weight loss. The other thing I'd do is tie another horse, one it likes, on the outside of the pen where they can communicate. Horses are herd animals and it probably has seperation anxiety on top of everything else.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#11 2017-05-30 14:36:35

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

:agreezz:

Also agree that wet kitty litter is one of the most dangerous and unpleasant substances on earth!

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#12 2017-05-31 05:45:05

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

The rubber matting works to keep the pee and poo smell from saturating the dirt floor of the stall. It also provides some cushioning underfoot.

The horse is not tied. I can't imagine making her stand in cross ties 24/7. Vet said it was important for her to be able to lay down to get some weight off that hoof now and then.

At this moment there is no other horse on the property. Stall horse is alone. I try to get out to visit her at least once a day and scratch the mosquitoes off her.  I also cut grass and bring it to her. Oh boy, she practically stands on her head waiting for that!

Frankly, I don't think she is healing. Horse Daughter did take her out on lead rope about a week ago, just to nibble some grass, and every step was a limp. I hope this is due to her atrophied hip, or maybe it is a learned behaviour, a fear limp.  HD plans to have her x-rayed again and if there is no sign of progress....  well, I can't finish that sentence.

Last edited by uno (2017-05-31 05:46:24)

#13 2017-06-19 06:12:13

Funky Acres
A.C.E. Addicted

Hello Uno
I wish I had come back on this site earlier.
Do you have comfrey growing anywhere around you?
If you do dig up as many roots as you can. But dry the leaves also. 
Chop up roots finely right away. (Turn into coffee grinder breaking cement when dry)
If you don't have any growing near you. You should be able to buy root from a health food store.
If not let me know and I will send you some.

Make a pouch(or modify old pillow case) that is as long as the horses leg and wraps all the way around out of cotton or flannel. Multiple horizontal sections might be an idea to keep the poultice evenly spread out.

Fill pouches with a mix of crumbled up leaves and root chunks. Soak in HOT water until water looks like weak tea. Let poultice cool enough to not burn but is still warm. Have HD apply to leg and wrap to keep it in place.
It can be used several times before replacing comfrey inside. As long as water looks like tea after about 5-10 minutes of soaking.
Re-apply morning and evening. This plant is called knit bone for a reason. It cuts healing time in half. Or more if the broken bone can be kept still.
HD may have to keep horse tied 18 hours a day to help keep it still for a week.

Unfortunately I don't know what kind of lobelia root super charges comfrey. You can't buy it any more. And I am still searching for the right one to grow myself.
But comfrey alone healed hubby a broken ankle/foot in three weeks instead of twelve doc was expecting.

If you have questions let me know.

Me Hubby, daughter 2 1/2, son 14 days, 2 Tahltan Bear dogs, 2cats? Rode Island Red, Lohman, Astralorp and Americana cross chickens. Muscovy ducks, Touluse and Emdem geese.   5 horses, all of which hubby is training to drive. And one Tamworth/Large Black sow, assorted pigs of various ages. Two jersey cows.

Can't wait to get into rare and heritage breed livestock to go with our draft horses.

#14 2017-06-20 16:21:51

niglefritz

:agreezz: I was just going to suggest comfrey. :veryfunny: She could use fresh leaves and make a poultice...or a strong spray on tea...or a salve to rub in.

I am currently using an infused oil (soon to be made into a salve) for my knees. I put horsetail (the plant :P ) into it.

Interesting how the lobelia is a comfrey booster...I wondered why they were good together, and now I know. Funky Acres...have you looked at Richters (richters.com)? They have seeds, your plants and dried herbs. Let me know if you find the right one.

FOCUS: blue JG FUN: RIR, copper marans, silkies, guinea, muscovy, IR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#15 2017-06-23 03:33:44

sherian
Growing Member

wood pellet user here - makes a nice cushy bed and the wet spots tend to clump.  if you can borrow a pony maybe having a friend would reduce her stress levels so she churns less?
otherwise couple of thoughts  - not sure what pain meds she is on now, but you mentioned bute and banamine.  fibrocoxifib is much easier on the gut for long tern use, most vets will prescribe the dog version "previcoxx" as the horse version "equicoxx" is expensive and a pita to give. 
you didn't go into much detail on treatment but have you looked into stem cell therapy or IRAP ? not sure if osphos would be appropriate?

Board footer