AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-06-19 02:30:17

Deltamaq
Growing Member

Size loss - bigger rooster or hen

Our birds are decreasing in size. Do we need a larger rooster or bigger hens?
Our mutt flock is a dual purpose mix of partridge; Chantecler, Americana/Easter/OliveEggers, Wyandotte's, Orppington, Barnvelder & Welsummer; any solid colours are culled.
The pullets from November & January are smaller than previous years, to the point there are very few worth keeping for breeding. Our breeding girls are getting to be 3-4 years old so we need to get some size soon or there will be no eggs or edible meat.
The rooster is a good size, was the largest of the 2015 hatch.  His 2016 son is not as big & the 2017 cockerals are not impressive for size. There is still a noticeable genetic diversity in colours, (we can see the barnvelder influence in some, orpington in others while others show the Ameracauna muffs & beards.)
If we look for a large rooster next trip south would he pass on size to the future generation? Or does the hens genetics control more of the size factor?

Thanks for suggestions.

#2 2017-06-19 04:39:18

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Size loss - bigger rooster or hen

If you've got a small closed flock, inbreeding may be the problem. Reduced size is a classic inbreeding symptom. Replace your roo with one from outside, and all your problems should (may?) magically disappear.
Best thing about inbreeding is that all ill effects disappear with one generation of outcrossing.

#3 2017-06-19 09:16:14

lornem
Growing Member

According to the American Livestock Breeding Conservatory the size of the flock comes from the female side. They have an indepth article on selecting breeders at this link.

http://albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchick … ment-3.pdf

Hope this helps.

Better to be dumb as a stump and learn as you go,...than to be a know it all and get stumped:

Live and learn while thinking outside the box.

#4 2017-06-19 12:39:18

BobG
A.C.E. Addicted

Breed from your largest fast growing females not the males , for flock size improvement . If it is an inbreeding problem and an outcross is needed buy a pair where both birds are the same quality or better than your own . They must both be larger breed your male over the new female and new male over your female and continue to select your larger framed pullets each yr .I have just re read your post the problem probably is no one set of genes is dominating your breeding . With continuing your outcross program you have reached the curve where no improvement takes place . While another outcross will give you a boost in size it will be a short term solution

Last edited by BobG (2017-06-19 13:03:39)

#5 2017-06-19 14:26:33

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I asked this question just a couple days ago on the Poultry Colors and Genetics FB group and got similar answers to what's here. Size is generally controlled by the female line. My problem is inbreeding because I'm trying to develop my Silver Laced Brahmas and I'm breeding in the same family.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#6 2017-06-20 02:17:03

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

Also hatching small eggs will give you small chicks, which will grow into small adults.  Choose the bigger eggs for hatching.

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#7 2017-06-20 04:05:10

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Bigger Hens= Bigger Eggs= Bigger Chicks = Bigger Birds

Last edited by la-chicken (2017-06-20 04:08:50)

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#8 2017-06-20 09:19:48

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Looks like you have received very good advice.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#9 2017-06-22 13:11:46

Deltamaq
Growing Member

Thanks everyone. We will try & locate a new pair next spring when the truck goes south if we can still keep our flock. Just got told an offer to purchase the property is pending & we were not planning on selling. 35 yrs here maybe it's time.

Board footer