AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2017-07-25 21:12:08

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Re: anybody still hatching?

vic's chicks wrote:

I just found two more Broodies . Can't decide whether or not to let them hatch. Would love to get some eggs from Tru north but that would be another week away at least because I would have to have them shipped. The dilemma.
On the coast here we don't have to worry so much about cold weather.

If your broodies are in good shape, they can sit for longer than 21 days. I had one go almost 40 days, an egg broke just before hatch and suffocated the lot. My hens are almost impossible to un- broody so I just stuffed more eggs under her- 21 days later, a perfect hatch! I make sure my broodies get off the nest once a day to eat and drink, starting with the 4th day until the 19th. I leave her to sit in peace near hatching.
I ordered the Buckeye/red cross eggs from True North, they shipped to Ontario just fine and most hatched- I ordered 4 dozen to be sure that I'd get maybe 6 hens, so I had an awful lot more chicks than I really needed. They are great hens.

#17 2017-07-25 22:04:58

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

The broody that just hatched sat for 35 days.  With her first batch a rotten one broke and coated her and the rest so I tossed them, cleaned her off and put her back with some new ones.

I don't do anything other than make sure they have food and water available.

Last edited by shaneb99 (2017-07-25 22:06:29)

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#18 2017-07-26 01:18:32

Back2roots
Growing Member

I have a cautionary tale about letting a broody sit for more than one round if you're interested. Coles notes ... broody got attacked by another flock member because she hadn't been regularly visible for quite a while. Said perpetrator thought it was an opportune time to gain status in the pecking order. Since broody was not exactly in fighting condition, she was trounced, to the point where she quit being broody (major damage to her neck, BTW, which she is currently recovering from). This, by the way, is a dedicated broody mama. This past weekend I had to finish the hatch in our oven, using the oven lights for heat - hourly, using a laser heat sensor thingie to test temperature and manually adjusting how much the door had to be left ajar.  End result: two that are most likely girls, thankfully (but we started out with seven hatching eggs, so horrible hatch rate). One hatched in the middle of the night, and one mid-afternoon the same day. One had issues with stuff not finished being absorbed/bloody crusty navel, and the other, the first to hatch, is I'm afraid, a bit "touched". Can't get her to eat or drink, though she has no problem pecking at her sister's feet.
All that to say, please take flock dynamics, broody hen's condition, her size compared to the rest of the flock members and position in the pecking order, into consideration before making the decision to have her sit through another incubation cycle. Also, have an incubator at the ready, just in case: We were scrambling at day 20 to save the eggs and did not have an incubator. Our broody always took care of new babies in the past with no issues. Of course, she only ever sat for one cycle.

#19 2017-07-26 06:33:28

La Farmer Gal

Barred Rock broody has hatched her first clutch: 9/15 so far. She "helped" 4 & 5 - just had to see what was in there, so they didn't make it.

Buff Orpington broody is hoping to hatch her clutch within 2 weeks.

Incubator has 24 eggs going for a hatch in 2.5 weeks. They are mainly Randombred 1978's and were to be the last of the season, but we would like some Buffs and RIR's before putting the 'bator away for the year, so will do one more hatch after this. I will be saying, "Dummy!" 6 weeks from now, as will everyone else, but that's the plan so far.

Last edited by La Farmer Gal (2017-07-26 06:34:00)

Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and a few mixies.

#20 2017-07-26 13:33:46

niglefritz

We are done here. I am happy about that decision. I have too many chickens now, I am afraid. :hide:

FOCUS: blue JG FUN: RIR, copper marans, silkies, guinea, muscovy, IR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

Board footer