AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-07-23 21:28:09

La Farmer Gal

Our first broody baby!

Mama Barred Plymoth Rock has been sitting on her clutch for a few weeks. This afternoon we saw baby feet beneath her, then as our voices were heard, a little head popped out and a wee fluffy chick began exploring around and checking out our fingers.

Mama chatted away with us and proudly showed off baby while sitting on the remaining dozen or so eggs.

I'm so proud of mama. Her chick looks absolutely perfect and healthy! Mama doesn't mind our presence at all! And from what I understand BPR's don't always/often go broody and most hens are very growly and protective, so we have a winner of a hen!

This is so much easier than incubating - no checking, wondering, power outages, humidity, etc. to keep up with. And no disappointments of putting 24 eggs in and only getting 6 to hatch. This way they're all a bonus.

Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and a few mixies.

#2 2017-07-23 22:52:32

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Our first broody baby!

:Congrats2:

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#3 2017-07-23 23:29:08

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

:Congrats2:   From me too.   =)

I love Broody hens that stay on the nest and happily hatch their chicks.   Teach them how to eat, watch for hawks and learn to be real

chickens.    They are definitely keepers!

#4 2017-07-24 01:31:29

susanr

How wonderful!  :Congrats2:

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#5 2017-07-26 05:19:12

La Farmer Gal

Thank you! We're up to 7 babies now and what a day today was!

First, the setup is NOT for chicks at all. I hadn't realized we had a broody in the house above this particular pen and had put a big-hearted giant of a buff orpington rooster in the pen. (When you have many hands stirring the pot, this is entirely possible, trust me). Later on I realized a broody was there and went, well, let's see what happens. So roo stayed and hen sat. He's such a gentleman.

Second, the hen house above the pen is such that the hen walks down the ramp and there's a good 2-foot hop to the ground. No problem for a hen, but chicks... apparently no problem there either from what I hear happened today!

Third, there is a big tub of water that chicks can easily fall into.

The plan was to move the hen and chicks as soon as the last chicks hatched, so all hazards avoided.

Instead nature took its course in a surprising way.

Chicks hatch Sunday, Monday, and today. Today I am at work. I get a text. Momma Hen had gone down to eat and chicks followed. No clue how they got to the ground, but it was at least a 2-foot tumble for 5 chicks. They are all happily racing around on the ground. 2 chicks were above and pipped, but not hatched yet. Momma Hen did not return to them.

Now we have a big tub of water (drowning hazard), a big (our biggest) buff roo, and 2 babies wanting to hatch without momma there to sit on them.

Mr. Buff (not the daddy) was so proud of these babies he about burst his buttons. They played around his feet and he ever so softly and carefully scratched the dirt for them to hunt bugs. Momma and Mr. Roo took great care of them and warned them about the dangers of falling in the water. They spent a great day together.

At the end of the day I finally arrived home. Momma Hen told the chicks it was time to go to bed and showed them how to get there. Only they couldn't fly 2 feet up. She was so perplexed, and tried demonstrating many times accompanied by clucks and trills. None of them followed, they just stood below gazing upwards at her. Now what? Humans!!!! Help, please!!!! I stepped in and moments later all were happily where they belonged. Momma was so relieved!

In the meantime, 2 babies had managed to hatch (one apparently needed just a little help with the shrink wrap job and got it). They were quite cool to the touch and huddled one beneath the other, one hardly moving. I was quite concerned to find this state when I arrived home and wondered why no one had put them under the brooder. Apparently it's an exclusive job (sarcasm... just a little) and I fit the bill perfectly. Why mess with something good?

Brooder was set up, but then Momma went to bed with cold chicks and 5 others tucked beneath. What better place for them than beneath Momma? Checked back a couple of hours later and babies are warmed up and moving. Phewf! It's amazing what chicks can go through and pull through!

But tomorrow... those babies must be moved. No more 2 feet drops, water tubs or proud roosters. Although... he does think the world of them. Maybe I could keep them together but in the chick and hen pen.

Has anyone else kept hen and chicks with roo(s)? I know our other roos have always been utterly fascinated by our little chicks when we take them by to visit. They go completely still, then go up to the enclosure and watch them, then talk to them. It's so neat to watch!

Last edited by La Farmer Gal (2017-07-26 05:22:29)

Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and a few mixies.

#6 2017-07-26 11:30:51

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Both of my last 2 free range boys were fine with broody hens, the first one - not so much. He turned on the chicks in an attempt to get Mum to breed. Currently the boy has been roaming since the chicks were let out at 2 days.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#7 2017-07-26 13:37:58

niglefritz

We have 2 roosters in with one mom & chicks. We have lost some chicks, but have no solid idea why. Whenever we are watching, the other hens & the roosters seem to not mind them at all, so we suspect it was something else.

If the rooster is good, I would not worry about him. It is nice to see them be so proud, teaching & protecting the young ones. :thumbsup:

:congrats: by the way!

FOCUS: blue JG FUN: RIR, copper marans, silkies, guinea, muscovy, IR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

Board footer