AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » how can you tell blackhead infection from coccidiosis?

#1 2017-07-30 21:07:44

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

how can you tell blackhead infection from coccidiosis?

I have a sick peahen showing weightloss, listless, droopy wings, not eating. She had black, muddy diarrhea yesterday and today shows lighter color stool with blood. I'm treating her with metronidazole which I think will work on both infections, but I'm wondering how to tell the infections apart without doing a lab fecal? Should I treat the other peahen too, even though she's asymptomatic?

I hope she makes it, she was a stray that wandered in a few years ago and spent a whole summer roosting in the trees outside my bedroom window. She took over our backyard until fall when we moved her down to the barn. She called every night at 9:30-10pm, so cool.

I was horrified to feel how much weight she's lost. I don't handle them very often as they get so stressed.

Last edited by Sunfeathers (2017-07-30 21:10:34)

#2 2017-08-01 00:35:42

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Re: how can you tell blackhead infection from coccidiosis?

I don't think metronidazole works on coccidiosis because it's not an infection it's a protozoa.  The protozoan attack the lining of the intestine which causes the blood and the danger is that E. Coli then gets into the blood stream. I don't think metronidazole works very good for that either. I think ciprofloxacin is preferred.  I realize that Blackhead (Histomonas melagridis) is also a protozoa and metronidazole is the recommended treatment but I believe its to fight secondary infection.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#3 2017-08-01 00:45:04

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Is the head blue? The reason it's called blackhead is because the head turns blue because of reduced blood supply to extremities. 

You might want try treating with Corid or Amprol to kill off any protozoans in the gut.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#4 2017-08-01 05:50:14

canoecreekchix
New Here

When I have a turkey with blackhead the poop is mustard yellow. I deworm with panacur and mix cayenne pepper in their food.

#5 2017-08-01 14:41:04

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks for your replies. My peahen died :crying: Her head was not blue and no yellow poop. I think it was likely coccidiosis. I've had a lot of problems with it and unfortunately, was out of Amprol. I have to mail order it here. My vet thought metronidazole would work because it is an antiprotonzoal med? And, has bacteriostatic properties. I think maybe I started treating her too late and I wish I'd checked her weight sooner.

Shane, in coccidiosis, is it the ecoli infection that kills them?

Last edited by Sunfeathers (2017-08-01 14:48:12)

#6 2017-08-02 00:23:49

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

When I spoke to the provincial vet he told me the coccidiosis causes lesions in the intestine. E.  Coli bacteria naturally present in the gut then get into the blood stream and that's what kills them

#7 2017-08-03 02:01:48

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks Shane.

I caught the other peahen yesterday and she looks great, even fat. It made me wonder if the other one was a lot older. She was the larger, greedier bird. Now I'll have to look for another buddy for the remaining one.

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » how can you tell blackhead infection from coccidiosis?

Board footer