AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-08-02 23:18:40

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Cooling chickens while processing

A difficulty we have when processing chickens is cooling them down well. We put them in a couple of tubs we use just for that purpose with well water and frozen jugs of ice. But it's not totally satisfactory. For one thing there's a lot of juggling as we move from plucked to eviserated to cut up.

Does anyone have any nifty method of handling them?

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#2 2017-08-03 01:54:34

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Cooling chickens while processing

We have a big plastic wheelbarrow that I scrub and bleach and we get the garden hose in there, fill it with cold water and that is the final cooling bath after the carcass has been cleaned and washed in a separate bath. It's amazing how quickly those bodies heat up the water. It is a picky process to juggle and swoosh. I find I have to put my hand inside the body cavity and wave out the body warmed water so cool can get in there. But with the shape of the wheelbarrow it's easy to tip out icky water and refill with fresh cold. We have never used ice, just running hose water, which is very cold. But it does take time. Have not found a way to speed it up.

#3 2017-08-03 10:45:22

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Good question.  We used cold water in 5 gallon pails.  Left the hose running as we dipped and sloshed each bird into the ice cold well water.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#4 2017-08-03 11:01:44

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

We run the hose inside each one while we are scalding and plucking and cleaning the next one....nozzle set on spray.  it takes about 15 minutes to do up each one, so the first one is pretty cold and ready to bag by then.

#5 2017-08-03 16:58:09

GalaBoys
Banned

I spray down each carcass with the hose before it goes into my tub of cold water. Helps the cold water stay cold longer. I also usually bag the carcass before it goes into the cooler, so then if I have to dump the water and refill it, I am not running the risk of dumping the meat out, too.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#6 2017-08-05 00:24:13

La Farmer Gal

We clean out and rinse the birds well, then place them on trays, cover, & chill them in our large stand-alone fridge overnight before bagging the day after processing. Handy and effective for the smaller processing amounts that we do, but not the best if processing a large number of birds.

Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and a few mixies.

Board footer