AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-08-06 02:48:09

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

Badly matted dog

We have my step daughters 12 year old retriever for a week or so. I have never seen a dog so badly matted. He stinks because his skin is so irritated. I tried combing them out but it seems impossible. Especially all around and under his neck. Does anyone have any suggestions . I would like to try to clean him up myself but maybe a groomer is the only way. Maybe he has to be shaved. I have been a hairstylist for forty years but this is beyond anything I have ever had to deal with.

enjoying a small flock of chickens Barnevelders Buff Sussex, Orpingtons Barred Rocks and Wyandottes and belgian malines,  with my husband, a golden retriever,black lab , one cat. and occasionally our 4 kids , their partners, and 6 grandchildren.

#2 2017-08-06 04:23:45

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Badly matted dog

I would definitely SHAVE him.   Then you can see if there are any other issues, under all that hair and mats.   He may need some

antibiotic for that skin irritation.    In this heat, he will probably feel much better.    clpz

#3 2017-08-06 16:12:49

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

Goldens are prone to skin problems anyway but being matted can cause serious issues, definitely shave! If you have  a pair of clippers, take him down all over with a #10 blade(not sure what the human equivalent is) Don't scissor as tight mats can pull the skin up into the mat and you will cut him. Be extra careful around the ears, very thin skin in that area and shave with the lay of the hair. Bath with either the medicated shampoo from the vet or a tea tree shampoo. Good luck!

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#4 2017-08-06 16:47:25

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I suggest taking him to a dog groomer and get him shaved. They will wash and then shave him down close. That's probably all he needs. It's a lot of work and for the $100 or so well worth it. He'll be much happier.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#5 2017-08-06 22:08:16

100milegal
A.C.E. Addicted

Yes take him to a groomer, trying to shave a dirty dog will kill even the best clippers. A lot of groomer will wash then shave while still wet, easier to get under the mats.

Board footer