AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-08-07 21:39:46

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Hollyhocks

I tried to get a picture of the hollyhocks blooming in the garden but I'm afraid I'm not much of a photographer.
https://preview.ibb.co/ihKFEv/IMG_6165.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/bKhfga/IMG_6164.jpg

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#2 2017-08-07 23:48:43

confused
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Hollyhocks

I do so love hollyhocks but for some reason I just can't seem to get them started. My grandpa had them in about a 10 ' wide bed, all the way in from the road to the house when I was a kid. Every color imaginable. Double and single. One of my sons lives alone and since his dog died, the deer have pretty much taken up residence in his yard. This year, they ate all his hollyhocks and all his gladiola flowers. He's not very happy.

#3 2017-08-08 09:20:37

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Hollyhocks are lovely.  Not sure why we stopped growing them.  Hmmmm.  I never thought of that till now.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#4 2017-08-08 14:19:12

niglefritz

I missed Hollyhocks.  Last year, I was given some in with a bunch of perennials. They are now blooming. I think they are a stunning color of a burgundy wine shade. I am so happy with their height as well.

Your garden is beautifully planned. I really like it. w.i.n.

FOCUS: blue JG FUN: RIR, copper marans, silkies, guinea, muscovy, IR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#5 2017-08-08 15:33:37

susanr

Lovely garden!  I have one hollyhock that just appeared last year - it is so dark, it looks black.  I have a bag of assorted colored hollyhocks I have collected but not planted yet.  I am planning to expand my flower garden and they will be planted at the back end of it.  I love hollyhocks as do the hummingbirds and bees.  Apparently, way back before running water, ladies used to plant hollyhocks around the outhouse - that way other people wouldn't be embarrassed by having to ask where the outhouse was.  That's what I have heard - not sure if its true.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#6 2017-08-08 16:35:16

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Love them We stopped growing them because they kept getting blight.  Been a few years, maybe time to try them again.

Black Ameraucana

#7 2017-08-08 17:20:51

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Your whole garden looks delightful!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#8 2017-08-09 01:59:45

prairie dog
I Love A.C.E.
Website

They started appearing here a few years back , very invasive ! I got rid of them all !, an old world flower I'm told , my parents always had them , my mom prided herself in hers , pretty but .........

“Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.”.

Everyday is a new box , you open it and take a look inside , you're the one who determines if it's a gift or a coffin

#9 2017-08-09 04:10:00

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I love Hollyhocks but I keep getting rid of flower beds and I don't have a place for them anymore.

Less weeding is pretty great, though.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers   www.partridgechanteclers.com
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - www.lakelandchickengroup.com

Board footer