AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2017-08-11 21:19:16

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Cornish Cross round 2

For cattle, being grass fed produces a stronger flavoured meat with less fat.

My heritage cockerels are all raised on grass from about 6 weeks onward (in portable tractors that are moved daily), with grain & protein supplement and LOTS of apples (we have an orchard and the fallen apples go to the birds). They are very delicious, yellow fat, and BRIGHT yellow legs.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers   www.partridgechanteclers.com
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - www.lakelandchickengroup.com

#17 2017-08-11 22:19:32

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

It puts a sweetness in the flavour....and cuts the growth rate a little, which can help with leg issues and sudden deaths.
Then, chickens eat a lot of grass when they can, so they must like it. 

Probably gives them some extra vitamins too, who knows........

#18 2017-08-12 01:06:36

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

It's not just the taste, it's the health benefits of grass fed (or other green plant material) animals that are important too. Grass fed critters have more Omega-3 fatty acids in their meat, milk and eggs  which are difficult to get into your diet unless you eat a lot of wild caught fatty fish. Factory farmed animals fed on corn and soy get an excess of Omega- 6 fatty acids and therefore so do we when we consume them. Having the right proportion of Omega  3, 6 and 9 fatty acids is important to good health. That's why my grandparents, who basically lived on pork fat, lived well into their old age- with no heart disease- their pigs were pastured so their bacon was not like our bacon. Most people eating a typical North American diet  are deficient in Omega 3 fatty acids. This is from a 2006 (old news!!) publication of Canadian Family Physician:

Historically, the human diet was high in omega-3 fatty acids. The ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids in the diet was 1-2:1. During the last 100 years, there has been a marked increase in consumption of omega-6 and a decrease in consumption of omega-3 fatty acids.
There appears to be good evidence (level I and II) of a lower incidence of hypertension, cardiac disease, all-cause mortality, and familial hypertriglyceridemia in patients who consume adequate amounts of omega-3 fatty acids.
Canada was the first country to adopt guidelines to reduce consumption of omega-6 and increase consumption of omega-3 fatty acids, with a target ratio of 6:1 in the diet. Most Canadians will not achieve this goal.
Family doctors can be confident that promoting a diet with increased intake of omega-3 fatty acids is an important preventive measure.

#19 2017-08-12 19:06:15

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Thank you. It sounds important then to get some greens for them. I'm wondering if sprouted grains would be almost as good as grass? I can get them out in the field to forage, I'm not sure we can spare the water to turn a patch of grass green but maybe we could buy them a couple of sod rolls and keep it watered for them. I think sprouted grain would be easier.

#20 2017-08-12 19:51:17

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Leafy garden scraps work too, so I don't see why sprouted grains in full sun wouldn't be helpful.  Sprout them in soil, to bump up the trace minerals.

#21 2017-08-12 19:58:09

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Well, the last of them are in the fridge, the bus is empty.  Part of me feels relief, as it's a big job to process them all.  Part of me misses the eager stampede as I show up with their daily bucket of 'lawn salad'.  No more pink feathers to pluck, no more holding your breath for a few moments when one decides to get up from dusting right next to you and shakes...clouds of pink dust everywhere  :rofl:

(We have soil on the bottom of the bus, and PEI soil is red when wet and pink when dry)

Board footer