AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-08-08 23:30:16

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Coffin bone update and sale.

The warmblood who has been stalled for a few months now was recently xrayed by vet and showed only minimal healing. The verdict is that the horse will NEVER BE RIDING SOUND.

However, her pain seems to be gone. If she runs around like an idiot she will limp. But at a walk she is fine. She is in good weight, relaxed, friendly, interested in her food and surroundings, mooches for scratches and cuddles. She is not the frantic, miserable underweight horse she was, which says to me her hoof hurts if she does something stupid, but otherwise it is not a problem. As long as it is in that corrective shoe. We have not and do not plan to leave her without the support of that special shoe, which is crucial to her having any quality of life.

Twice the vet has talked Horse Daughter out of putting the horse down and the reason is that this horse is an outstanding example conformationally. She is gorgeous. She is big. Prior to breaking her coffin bone she showed amazing scope and talent. (aside from being a bit of a stink to break, likes to buck!) Her blood lines are excellent. She will be a prize addition to someone's breeding program and the vet has urged Horse Daughter to place her with a breeder. She could make some pretty, solid boned, well constructed babies.

I'm putting the call out here on ACE to see if anyone is connected to people who might be interested. No flakes, no backwoods horse mills, no people who will NOT care for the horse the way she needs to be cared for. If breeder can't afford constant re-shoeing then move along you can't afford this horse! While HD will sell her to a breeder the breeder better have the ethics that HD considers acceptable. As well they better turn out quality horses and not a lot of junk. (wow, when did I become a horse snob?!) In other words approved home and will be heavily researched before the horse leaves the yard in a trailer. But she'd be a real prize in a harem of fine mares.

Get the word out there if you know anyone who might be a good home for such a horse. No rescues, she doesn't need rescuing, and no re-hab, she will never be riding sound and we don't even want someone trying that. We did. It didn't work. No opint harming the horse further. It is what it is. She is comfortable and will do fine as a broodmare.

#2 2017-08-09 03:41:45

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Coffin bone update and sale.

breed, bloodlines and pictures would be helpful...

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#3 2017-08-09 04:51:34

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Well.  A good resolution given what might have happened.  Can't remember, is she papered?  The breed organizations are often a good place to start.  Also look for access/exposure to US breeders.  Sorry don't know any breeders anymore.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#4 2017-08-09 06:10:48

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Indeed she is papered!

I think somewhere her pedigree (is that what they call it for horses?) is available online but I can't tell you where. HD knows all that stuff.

I believe (could be wrong) she is mostly Hanoverian with a little Salle Frances thrown in for flare.  Since I do not have access to that info I cannot post it here. But if anyone is interested, you all know where to reach me.  Pm or email. Thank you mucho.

#5 2017-08-10 01:09:10

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I was wrong! She is not a Hanoverian. She is a Holsteiner (sp?) X Selle Francias.

I think if you google her you can find out her bloodlines.  Lilleshall / all breed pedigree.

#6 2017-08-10 01:17:19

427Chevy
New Here

She's mostly older Holsteiner breeding with some Selle Francais, registered Canadian Warmblood.

http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/pedigree.cgi … bersuffix=

That should be the link to her pedigree on CLRC. She's a solid 16.2hh and just turned 5 years old.
She  will not need the corrective shoes forever , just for now.
The fracture is articular and there are actually 2 fractures.

#7 2017-08-10 02:47:42

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

Chevy, sent you an email

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#8 2017-08-10 04:18:33

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Wow, inbreeding coefficient of 0.679! That's VERY high.

#9 2017-08-10 15:46:28

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

No Flakes?!?!

That rules me out.  hidxing

Black Ameraucana

#10 2017-08-13 13:48:00

CSF Farm
Growing Member
Website

I'm sorry to read about all your troubles. Horses can be everything, which means they can also cause a lot of heartache. You've done the best you can by her and sometimes that's all you can do for them. Congrats on at least getting her to the point of being pasture/breeding sound. We're a small breeder of Hanoverians and unfortunately, can relate with the heartache. We do have some gorgeous horses available right now if you're ever interested in looking in Ontario. ;horse; :thumbsup:

Breeding Jumper Bred Hanoverians & Registered Miniature Hereford Cattle.  Currently also have bantam chickens: True Ameraucana (B/B/S), WLR Cornish, and looking for more.  Pigs are being raised for meat too.  House is full with 6 kids (5 boys, 1 girl), hubby and myself.

Board footer