AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-08-13 17:03:36

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Stray cats in the moonlight

Sounds like a 1960s jazz band doesn't it? Last night about 2am the dogs were barking and growling right under our bedroom window. I got up and had look out the window but could only see our 2 white dogs after something under the lilac bush beside the house. So I grabbed a flashlight and headed out for a look. Believe me there's nothing like stepping on a thistle in your bare feet to wake you up.  When I got around to the side of the house I could hear something growling and hissing back so I knew it wasn't a skunk or porcupine. When I pushed the dog out of the way to get a better look  it took the opportunity to bolt out the back of the bush and over a trellis to get away. At least that caused the dogs to shut up so I went back to bed.  In the morning when I went to feed them both dogs were laying under a willow down by the garden. Sure enough there was a grey and white tomcat sitting on a branch about 6 feet up. When it realized I had seen it it sprinted away with the dogs in pursuit, up another tree, down the other side, over the fence and into the trees along the irrigation ditch out of reach. One dog sat there to make sure it wasn't coming back but I headed to the house for breakfast.

I don't think it's a threat to the adult birds although I'm sure it would take chicks if it has a chance. Hopefully it was enough of a scare that it stays away.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#2 2017-08-13 17:31:24

yardbirds
Administrator

Re: Stray cats in the moonlight

How's your foot?

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#3 2017-08-13 18:31:11

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.
Website

We've had a stray tom hanging around for about a year - much to his disappointment, all of my cats are fixed - and he hasn't harmed anything.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers   www.partridgechanteclers.com
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - www.lakelandchickengroup.com

#4 2017-08-14 00:57:53

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

I just love the story of how the thistle became Scotland's emblem: ( From http://www.scotclans.com/scotland/scott … d/thistle/ )

Late in the summer of 1263 King Haakon of Norway, now intent on conquering the Scots, set off with a sizeable fleet of longships for the Scottish coast. Gales and fierce storms forced some of the ships onto the beach at Largs in Ayrshire, and a Norwegian force was landed. Legend has it that at some point during the invasion the Norsemen tried to surprise the sleeping Scottish Clansmen. In order to move more stealthily under the cover of darkness the Norsemen removed their footwear. But as they crept barefoot they came across an area of ground covered in thistles and one of Haakon’s men unfortunately stood on one and shrieked out in pain, thus alerting the Clansmen to the advancing Norsemen.

His shout warned the Scots who defeated the Norsemen at the Battle of Largs, thus saving Scotland from invasion. The important role that the thistle had played was recognised and so was chosen as Scotland’s national emblem.

(But, in order not to hijack the thread, we can pretend that the soldier stepped on the tail of a stray tom cat...... and it was the cat's yowl that alerted the Scots.)
PS: More kitty trivia:  There was a group, not jazz, but Rockabilly,  called the Stray Cats, in the early 80's .

Last edited by Robbie (2017-08-14 01:02:23)

#5 2017-08-14 01:20:10

yardbirds
Administrator

Robbie wrote:

I just love the story of how the thistle became Scotland's emblem: ( From http://www.scotclans.com/scotland/scott … d/thistle/ )

Late in the summer of 1263 King Haakon of Norway, now intent on conquering the Scots, set off with a sizeable fleet of longships for the Scottish coast. Gales and fierce storms forced some of the ships onto the beach at Largs in Ayrshire, and a Norwegian force was landed. Legend has it that at some point during the invasion the Norsemen tried to surprise the sleeping Scottish Clansmen. In order to move more stealthily under the cover of darkness the Norsemen removed their footwear. But as they crept barefoot they came across an area of ground covered in thistles and one of Haakon’s men unfortunately stood on one and shrieked out in pain, thus alerting the Clansmen to the advancing Norsemen.

His shout warned the Scots who defeated the Norsemen at the Battle of Largs, thus saving Scotland from invasion. The important role that the thistle had played was recognised and so was chosen as Scotland’s national emblem.

(But, in order not to hijack the thread, we can pretend that the soldier stepped on the tail of a stray tom cat...... and it was the cat's yowl that alerted the Scots.)
PS: More kitty trivia:  There was a group, not jazz, but Rockabilly,  called the Stray Cats, in the early 80's .

and my apologies for adding to the hijack  hidxing

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#6 2017-08-17 04:07:20

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Yardbirds I meant to do that a couple days ago and you beat me to it. So I'll add this one for Robbie.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#7 2017-08-17 04:18:28

yardbirds
Administrator

.thumbsup. :melikey: .veryfunny.

Soldier of Tolerance

#8 2017-08-17 05:01:10

Blaithin
Website

Did stepping on the thistle make you do the stray cat strut?

#9 2017-08-17 13:46:01

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

I miss the '80's.................  :dance"

#10 2017-08-17 16:39:12

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

BTW Stepping on the thistle didn't make me shriek loud enough to wake a sleeping clans man but it did prompt a few choice expletives. Just walking on the dry grass stubble in my barefeet had me doing my own version of the Stray Cat Strut.

#11 2017-08-17 16:44:40

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Brian Setzer the lead singer of the Stray Cats is still around. He has a swing band. About 10 years ago I went to a Jump Jive/Swing Dance bar in New Orleans. There were kids there dressed up like zoot suiters dancing just like this. It was a lot of fun. And no I didn't try it.

Board footer