AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Pets
  •  » Old English Bulldog Opinions Please

#1 2017-08-19 12:34:45

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Old English Bulldog Opinions Please

Just wondering if any of you have them and if so what do you think of this breed?

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#2 2017-08-19 13:21:23

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Old English Bulldog Opinions Please

My neighbour used to breed them, They have a lot of health issues, be careful. And they can be pretty stubborn. |But people who have them love them.

#3 2017-08-19 14:26:29

100milegal
A.C.E. Addicted

:agreezz: I just think they are ugly. :P

My online clothing store.  www.bbandbubbles.com

#4 2017-08-19 16:04:06

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Expensive and a lot of work health-wise.

I think if you are serious about this breed, go to a dog show and talk to a breeder.  They will tell you all you need to know.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  Be prepared to shell out up to $5000 for a pet, or even more.

Absolutely do not be taken in by people selling purebreds for cheap or the trendy colours or have many breeds available.  This is a breed that some people use to make money and do not always do the right or moral thing to get that money.  We have had two bad breeders (puppy mills) taken down here in Alberta alone within the past year.  They await animal cruelty charges in court.

We have Casagrande and Chey's Birds on ACE who breed bulldogs.  Contact them and say I sent you.  They are the best people to talk to here.  They have not been on a while, so if you cant get in touch, please let me know.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#5 2017-08-19 16:41:19

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.

I love them, but I wouldn't want to own one. They are a high maintenance dog to be sure, just to keep up with cleaning up the drool.

Any of those short-nosed, wrinkly-faced, thick-bodied breeds seem to require a lot of upkeep. I have two pugs (both basically rescue situations) and I pretty much have to keep working just to pay the vet bills. Last month it was laser surgery on the soft palate and nose of our new-to-us pug ($1K+ including spay), this month the other pug is fighting a chronic ear infection and burst a blood vessel in her ear from head shaking, and draining the hematoma didn't work, so it is likely surgery for her as well. Sigh. The things I do to keep my animals happy and healthy ...

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#6 2017-08-19 20:21:06

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Ahhh but they have such cute Smooshie  faces.  I love the English Bulldogs too.  You just walk around with paper towel in your

pocket for the drool.   But vet bills can be pretty high.  :(

#7 2017-08-20 00:13:32

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

you should check out these guys: http://www.dog-breeds-expert.com/Olde-E … dogge.html

very similar traits with less health problems.

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#8 2017-08-20 00:42:16

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

They aren't as cute, to me at least.   wissle    No Smooshie faces.   clpz

#9 2017-08-20 11:11:24

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Crooked Coop wrote:

you should check out these guys: http://www.dog-breeds-expert.com/Olde-E … dogge.html

very similar traits with less health problems.

Yes that is the breed I am talking about not the short stubby English Bulldog. I thought that because they are somewhat of a cross that they would be healthier. I was told by the breeder that they hapa good temperament and were relatively laid back. But I just wanted some outside opinions.

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#10 2017-08-20 14:25:21

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

apparently posting while exhausted makes you a bit oblivious! I have met a few and I think they are lovely dogs, I like the mush faced dogs. I had two Bostons and they were lovely little monsters. The Bulldogs don't have the terrier attitude that my Bostons had. I've known many an English Bull Dog and like the personality too but they sound like chain smokers!

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

• Index
  •  » Pets
  •  » Old English Bulldog Opinions Please

Board footer