AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-08-13 21:39:44

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Crabapples

The crabapples are getting ripe. Every morning the turkeys come to check for windfalls.
https://preview.ibb.co/e2dvnF/IMG_6176.jpg

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#2 2017-08-14 18:56:33

susanr

Re: Crabapples

Very good harvest for you this year!  Ours looked to be a very good one this year as well.  Unfortunately, the tent caterpillars arrived and completely stripped the trees :(  The leaves have recovered but, too late to form new fruit now.  Hopefully next year.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2017-08-24 17:35:14

Deltamaq
Growing Member

We grow Saskatoon berries & have a lilac that has survived over 15 years, are crabapples hardy enough to try? Where would one even look for a tree? Do we need 2 for pollination?
I should be looking this up on-line but most sites think grows stops at the Canada/US border.

#4 2017-08-25 01:49:33

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

There are crabs supposedly hardy to zone 2, but check and make sure they are on either a hardier rootstock or on their own roots. There are a lot of varieties and colours to choose from! I have Father Fiala's book on flowering crabs, I love them too. I would imagine that if you can grow lilacs the hardy crabs should be fine.

#5 2017-08-25 09:54:42

lornem
Growing Member

These sites carry a few zone 2 crabs and apples.
http://www.springtreefarm.ca/products/t … pple-trees

This one grows all apples on zone 2 rootstalk
http://www.hardyfruittrees.ca/catalog/apple-trees

If you don't plant a few you'll never know.

Better to be dumb as a stump and learn as you go,...than to be a know it all and get stumped:

Live and learn while thinking outside the box.

#6 2017-08-25 13:38:09

Schipperkesue
Administrator

We are a zone 2 and have a very hardy crabapple.  Huge and beautiful.  I don't think you need more than one.   You are pretty far north though, Deltamac.  Do you have a sheltered warmer microclimate?

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#7 2017-08-28 18:32:05

Deltamaq
Growing Member

Thanks I will check those out.
My entire garden is an experiment, no raised beds, no special mulches, if it thrives I'll keep it if it needs coddling I have better things to do. The only special thing I have is the automated fertilization; when others are paying $35 a bag for sheep manure I just go out and clean the chicken coop and rabbit pens.

I think the ocean and river influence may help. The water warms over the summer and might prevent the frosts that they get in the mountainous areas farther south; often places like Dawson City & Mayo have killing frosts and my garden will be fine for several more weeks.
Had one year freezing rain the end of August but it is more normal to be harvesting still mid to late September; the outstanding year was digging potatoes the first week of October (still no frost) so we could go south for fall resupply.

Board footer