AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2017-08-22 20:24:43

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Decided to try meat chickens

Do you let them range with other types of chicken? So far, my other free range hens are looking at them like they could be tasty. I'm not sure I would trust them not to be bullies.

Also, their skin seems to split really easily. One was cut by another's nail and the skin just opened right up. The roosters are already acting like little roosters and, it's only week three.

Last edited by Sunfeathers (2017-08-23 00:40:15)

#17 2017-08-22 23:25:37

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I find that other birds will pick on them - depending on your other birds. There is a wide variety of temperaments in chickens. some still being quite close to their evil velociraptor roots. Production layers  can be very intense, driven, aggressive, type A personality birds. And they peck holes in those big, dumb, slow, target like meat birds. It never worked for me. I lost meaties to attack.

#18 2017-08-23 10:18:45

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

yea, mine free range w/everything, geese, ducks, turkeys, guinea's wyandottes, banty's ..... the whole menagerie

but my yard is quite big and has many sections, they gather in cliques and a lot roam in packs. no probs w/aggression from crowding. tho a few 'lone rangers' that I'm sure would be picked on if they couldn't be off bye themselves

#19 2017-09-01 20:14:23

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Yes, my barnyard is more and more like that too. We have fewer predators around now, maybe because of the geese? Not sure, it could be a coincidence but I have a lot more free ranging birds now. I'd really like to just turn out the meat chicks with everyone else but I am being thoughtful of hubby who can't get used to the idea we are going to butcher our chickens so I'd like to pen them away from him, mostly.

I'm almost ready to turn them out. I still have a heat lamp on at night but I don't think they really need it now. They are 4 weeks and it's very warm here. I'm worried they are going to pile up and smother each other if I turn the lights out. They are so big and clumsy.

It seems they might benefit from night-time darkness? I couldn't find anything in google about how this affects their growth. Does everyone here keep a light on for their meat birds at night? Do they grow better with a sleeping period or, from having access to feed 24/7?

Last edited by Sunfeathers (2017-09-01 20:17:53)

#20 2017-09-02 00:59:19

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Lights out for my chicks as soon as they are old enough not to need the heat lamp. There doesn't seem to be a problem just letting it get dark naturally. What I don't want is for the lights to go out (ie a power failure- we can count on those whenever there's an incubator running or heat lamps) suddenly when they could be in the middle of eating or drinking or anything like that without them knowing what darkness is,  So the young  chicks get some darkness, even for fifteen minutes, while they are being supervised, while the heat lamps are on all other times.

#21 2017-09-02 14:49:38

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

:Thankx2:  Robbie.

Board footer