AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Sheep
  •  » New to sheep, is it a mistake to buy a ram?

#16 2017-08-28 14:25:05

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: New to sheep, is it a mistake to buy a ram?

I'd start with a few ewes or wethers, make sure your fences work and you enjoy them.  A ram is an added difficulty and will require company to remain well adjusted.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#17 2017-08-31 19:21:43

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Thank you everyone.

Robbie, alpaca wool is unbelievably soft. I picked up an 100% alpaca sweater at a 2nd hand store and it is so soft it doesn't even feel real. I've considered alpacas but they're so expensive around here.

Crooked Coop, would a large pair of Oster clippers work on sheep? Mine are not variable speed but there are the large ones for horses.

I know the hand-knitting end of the process well. It's just all the bits before that I would need to learn. I stopped knitting because my hands weren't working. I think I could do it again now. I have a huge wool sweater and blanket collection. I was picking up gorgeous wool items for really cheap at thrift stores. A lot of people don't know how to wash wool without it shrinking.

My Mum used to unravel and turn old sweaters into beautiful rugs. Lots of things you can do with wool. But, you have to deal with those darn moths. :tantrum:

#18 2017-08-31 20:25:30

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Sunfeathers wrote:

Thank you everyone.

Robbie, alpaca wool is unbelievably soft. I picked up an 100% alpaca sweater at a 2nd hand store and it is so soft it doesn't even feel real. I've considered alpacas but they're so expensive around here.

Crooked Coop, would a large pair of Oster clippers work on sheep? Mine are not variable speed but there are the large ones for horses.

I know the hand-knitting end of the process well. It's just all the bits before that I would need to learn. I stopped knitting because my hands weren't working. I think I could do it again now. I have a huge wool sweater and blanket collection. I was picking up gorgeous wool items for really cheap at thrift stores. A lot of people don't know how to wash wool without it shrinking.

My Mum used to unravel and turn old sweaters into beautiful rugs. Lots of things you can do with wool. But, you have to deal with those darn moths. :tantrum:

How did your mom make those rugs?

#19 2017-08-31 21:21:54

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

They were hooked with burlap. She sorted all the colors, designed her picture/pattern, then, finished edges and sides with a heavy duty fabric. I still have mine that she made for my room when I was about six. Really nice and it's stood up all those years. I'm in my 50's.

#20 2017-09-03 19:34:21

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

I've found an unrelated ewe, registered and to be bred before sale. She is four years old, with lots of good lambs, twins/triplets, I'm told. What should I be paying for an animal like that?

I've seen a recent ad for a flock of Icelandic sheep and the price works out to about 400.00 each. I don't know the animals' ages.

#21 2017-09-03 20:56:37

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Sunfeathers wrote:

They were hooked with burlap. She sorted all the colors, designed her picture/pattern, then, finished edges and sides with a heavy duty fabric. I still have mine that she made for my room when I was about six. Really nice and it's stood up all those years. I'm in my 50's.

So she unravelled the sweater and cut the wool into short pieces? I've often wanted to make a rug but I'm not sure how and I  haven't been brave enough to try it. Your rug must be very nice!

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. Can you make a rug out of raw wool that hasn't been turned into yarn? I can get whole Alpaca fleeces pretty cheap but I don't know if you need a heavier wool. Icelandic wool seems to be  pretty pricey! What's special about it? ( I just love wool knee socks, I have someone make them for me but I don't know what kind of wool it is. The socks are never scratchy. )

Last edited by Robbie (2017-09-03 21:01:14)

#22 2017-09-03 22:02:52

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I'd think $400 would be a top price for registered breeding animals, full grown but young enough to have a long reproductive life ahead of them.   As it is a whole flock I would think there would be a variety of animals in the group, not all of that description.  And you should get a break for buying the whole flock. So I'd say expensive.

Perhaps they are in high demand on the Island though, I just don't know.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#23 2017-09-04 04:52:33

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I find Icelandic wool to be on the coarse and scratchy side...especially compared to Shetland.  I would spin it for socks or mitts but never for around the face or neck.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#24 2017-09-04 15:50:53

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

I've found an unrelated ewe, registered and to be bred before sale. She is four years old, with lots of good lambs, twins/triplets, I'm told. What should I be paying for an animal like that?

I've seen a recent ad for a flock of Icelandic sheep and the price works out to about 400.00 each. I don't know the animals' ages.

Already bred! $400 would be a steal for a proven mom, registered and pregnant. I sold my yearlings for $400. I did sell a three year old with her wether son for $450 because she and I didn't get along, despite trying to tame her for 2.5 years she never settled down, not fun trying to shear that one!

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#25 2017-09-04 19:26:35

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

I've been offered a bred 4 year old ewe, registered, and next year's lamb will be registerable and, an unrelated ram lamb, approximately 4 months old. The two together for $400. I'm going to take them =)=) but they won't arrive until the ewe is bred next month.

#26 2017-09-04 19:42:52

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Robbie, Icelandics are dual coated and the two types of wool can be spun together or separated out with the undercoat being used for garments that touch the skin and the coarse outer fibre for other things. This is only based on my reading, not personal experience as I am a newby to all this=).

Regarding your question about hooked rugs, my mum did both unravelling sweaters to make her rugs and, for with fine sweaters she would cut them into strips lengthwise so they wouldn't unravel, and used the strips to hook with. The really were not like the other hooked rugs I've seen, she used almost a looped pattern, ie didn't pull the wool all the way through. I  I wish she was around so I could ask her more about them. I have no idea where she learned the technique.

When I get down to her place next month I'll get a couple of pics of the old rugs she made. One for each of us kids' rooms but I think only two survived. My brother's with a cool dinosaur pattern and mine with various animals, of course!

#27 2017-09-04 22:37:26

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Thanks sunfeathers. I'm looking forward to seeing those rugs.  Congratulations on your new sheep! What breed are they?

#28 2017-09-04 22:59:05

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Icelandic sheep. I'm very excited but I think I have a lot of learning to do.

#29 2017-09-05 13:02:51

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

That's great! It will be fun!

#30 2017-09-05 18:51:57

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

I hope so!

• Index
  •  » Sheep
  •  » New to sheep, is it a mistake to buy a ram?

Board footer