AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2017-07-07 13:37:53

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Almost lost my house to fire

You can't beat having great neighbours- maybe it is time to move away to a more caring community. I would have thought people in the prairies are very friendly and neighbourly, but it seems not? That's a shame.

#17 2017-07-07 15:08:11

niglefritz

I fully understand.

After 17 years here it is the same (so don't move here). Millionaire/well off farmer neighbors and generally not much for help. A rumor goes through the grapevine and there are a lot of people driving slowly by, straining their necks to look, or lips flapping, but very little for help.

We had a bad emergency with a colt a few years back. I called a neighbor who has kept heavies forever. He was extremely irritated with me calling him, was rude and offered no assistance/advice. He told me to go ask another neighbor who is very old and has trouble doing anything anymore & he knew that...and he has mental issues too...an outsider who was born & grew up here and gets help from nobody, is rumored about and bullied even. I knew that if he could help he would, but also knew that he had no experience with horses and physically is unable to help. He is odd & not very cleanly, but very kindhearted.

I could tell a lot more hurtful stories, but will stop there. We have and will help those in need, if we can. We believe in being good neighbors even if we don't get anything in return. It is the way it should be. It is too bad that not many folks adhere to that anymore.

I have to thank the few who will help, clpz but again, there are not many like that here. We are not the only ones who have noticed this negative attitude...many have come & gone due to the distain & hate expressed in this area. We fully feel that is is a very Godless community. We are glad we decided before we moved here to  homeschool. We are thankful our children did not become like them, but are friendly, generous, helpful and caring to others. They will be good neighbors.

If moving were an option, we would have been gone many years ago, but our purpose here must not be quite fulfilled as that is not yet possible. Yes, I fully understand. :hugz:

FOCUS: blue JG FUN: RIR, copper marans, silkies, guinea, muscovy, IR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#18 2017-07-07 15:30:09

niglefritz

Robbie wrote:

You can't beat having great neighbours- maybe it is time to move away to a more caring community. I would have thought people in the prairies are very friendly and neighbourly, but it seems not? That's a shame.

I think that some communities are that way or maybe used to be. My grandparents area was very much that way, but I think that is changing even there.

I think that many of the small communities are unwilling to change, don't like somebody a little different than they are, some are too interrelated, and they are bitter about their small town slowly dying (blaming it on others even though it is their own fault), but don't want to put any effort into being creative, welcoming to others or giving their young people a reason to stay...or a reason for new folks to come. The wealthy like those who make less than themselves if they can use them in some way (really no different in the city)...and many "farms" are getting huge (big ag producers) and thinking more about huge profits than people. The small farmers that cared more about people than huge profits (those who had time for others) have sold/left the farm and are aging or dead.

I should add that sometimes folks move into a community, and just want a place to sleep or rip around on their quads/snow machines and not take the time to meet their neighbors. That does nothing to build community either. That is also a barrier. We have one of those who just moved here too. Welcomed them April 1st with a neighborly gift & a short chat. Told them to stop by any time...and that is all she wrote. :confused:

It is interesting. We recently read a glowing ad published BY our community about how they are warm, welcoming, caring & friendly...yadda yadda...nothing like false advertising. "no comment: Very sad. We would LOVE to be in that sort of community. We would be all over it and help build it! I tell people to never move here. It is not worth it. Might be hard to sell our place then... :confused:

WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#19 2017-07-07 16:57:23

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I have found that people are generally happy to help, if you just ask. Folks sometimes forget to ask. I am an "outsider" who married in to this community, and no one jumps in to help me unless they know I want the help. I have to ask. And I have been here 16 years.

Likewise, you have to sometimes forcefully integrate yourself into a new area. Join the ag society or committees, run an event, donate money, volunteer, work hard and keep your head down, crack some jokes. Let people know that you want to support the community. It takes time.

Often there are lines drawn in older communities. Families won't associate because of something that happened decades ago, and people choose sides. It can take a long time and a lot of subtle inquiries to find out where those lines are, and navigating them is a whole other story.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers   www.partridgechanteclers.com
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - www.lakelandchickengroup.com

#20 2017-07-07 19:26:56

niglefritz

:iagree: Very good points, Galaboys, but sometimes that still does not work. We are willing to put in the time and continue to do so as we can, but we are not slaves/doormats either. We have to draw a line as well for our mental stability and family protection. Abuse can only be taken so much, so then you put more effort into those who do appreciate and build on that, even if you need to go outside of your geographical community.

Here, they are bold and will tell you to your face that they don't want your advice (even if it is good) and to keep your mouth shut. This can happen in a meeting or privately too. They won't even inquire why this idea might work...just discredit it. IF they do take your advice after discrediting you, they will take all the credit for the idea. It has not just happened to me more than once, but to others as well who tried to be a part of their ag committees and other community groups...then they wonder why their membership is small or dwindling as people pass on. :confused: :duh:

You can have a supposed friend for many years, and they can turn and bite griznsnguznz in front of all for no reason other than to "look good" to their peers...like high school...

I have lived in many small prairie communities in SK & MB, and this one is by far the worst one yet. Putting in your time is a waste as they will discard you in a heartbeat. Been there, done that. I wish to put my efforts into something/somewhere that will be positive and hopefully lasting. This is where I feel that I am needed.

Some people might help, but some would never dream of lifting a finger unless they have something to gain from it. It is odd...again like everyone never left high-school.

There are lines drawn and they will admit it. So-and-so is on the "OTHER side of the line" (they actually said that) but somehow it zigs or zags around them bit to let a relative in. :confused:

Some folks are beginning to sort of accept the fact that we are still here...and are "good folks" (recently said by one neighbor that attempted to buy our place from us a couple of months after we bought it), but many will never extend themselves to say even that. It took him 16 years.

Lines are certainly drawn around here. Stories and history we are aware of. We are caught in the middle of one feud...a long one...just by buying the place we did...and it is certainly a tough fence to walk. But...we are being good neighbors. Sigh.

It sounds like the small town by Regina is just such a gem as well. It is too bad. :sorry: :aww:

I should be done posting now, I think.

I enjoy hearing when somebody realizes that new people & new ideas aren't necessarily a bad thing and so change their negativity into a positive attitude. :hugz: That is a big deal and a sign of genuine maturity. Only then is a community going to grow. I believe one that does this can overcome the greatest obstacles.

#21 2017-07-09 15:48:01

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

Well this is kind of like a bad soap opera.  On Friday, just by fluke, I ran into my neighbor (the one who stopped at my house the day of the fire) at the mail box.  I mentioned about the fire bill.  She got ticked off and said that she saw the guys who lit the ditch on fire (not the day of my fire) and would tell anyone that needed to know who they were and what she saw.  She told me to have the fire department call her and she'd tell them what she saw.  I guess no one had asked her if she knew anything about it because she doesn't live out here any more.

She lives in Regina but drives out to her farm every day.  She said the smoke was so bad when they were burning the ditch that she almost drove off the road - she was ticked off because of that and because she thinks they should not get away with not paying the fire bill.  I called the fire department and relayed the message.  And the plot thickens ......

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#22 2017-07-09 16:16:27

susanr

It sucks that this is happening but, a good thing you ran into the neighbor.  A good fluke indeed as she is willing to talk to any authorities about what she saw.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#23 2017-07-11 13:21:03

niglefritz

:agreezz: Excellent. clpz Hopefully the authorities listen.

#24 2017-07-12 13:39:33

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

:shock:

Eye opener about the small town neighbours!! That is sobering and more than a little depressing.

I hope the idiots who lit the fire get caught, they deserve it. No sympathy here.

#25 2017-07-12 20:20:43

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Finally, a neighbour that is willing to tell the truth.  I hope the authorities listen to what she has to say and act on it.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#26 2017-09-10 00:59:33

mags
A.C.E. Addicted

Yikes!  I know how scary fires are!  We are right  here in the heart of the Cariboo and have been on our toes all summer long!

PEOPLE WHO COUNT THEIR CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH ARE VERY WISE, FOR CHICKENS RUN ABOUT SO ABSURDLY THAT YOU CAN'T COUNT THEM OTHERWISE. smile :D
a nice little farm between 100 mile house and Williams Lake with some cornish, buckeye, Cochin, Orpington and mutt chickens, beef and milk cows, tamworth/berkshire pigs, dogs, gardens and cats.

#27 2017-09-13 14:21:26

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

The fire department never called my neighbor to find out who she saw.  I got the bill for the fire call to my property - $4250.00.  My insurance paid it with no hassle, and I had no deductible, so that was good.  My policy doesn't cover anything other issues I have related to the fire though.  The guy who started the fires, which were not even on his property (the ditches belong to the Department of Highways) had no consequences at all.

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#28 2017-09-13 15:53:33

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Let's hope Karma takes care of that fellow.

Board footer