AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-10-02 20:50:34

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

End 'o Season

well, it's been pretty good year garden wise. some good some not. the heat didn't show up here till well into july so a lot of stuff was a write off, eggplants, fennel just sat till into july and so produced nada. melons except one variety also nada, squashes and pumpkins were all pretty much pig food. that is, fruit but so green yet was useless except the pigs liked it.

we took down the greenhouse too this weekend, still have 2 X 5-gal pails of red tomatoes, a 5 gal pail of sweet peppers and a gallon bowl of hot peppers that grow in there. threw out tons of green stuff but have all I need and then some, gave away all I could so no sense heating for really nothing. prob threw out a large wheelbarrow of green stuff. should have given to pigs but didn't think fast enuf, wonder how they like hot peppers as even tho green are very hot. once again w/o the heat in june was late as usually have almost no green stuff in GH except hot peppers as they are quite a bit longer season.

but have put up taco sauce, 6 pepper hot sauce, sweet pepper and tomato sauce, straight tomato sauce, tomato and basil sauce, tomato juice, pickled hot peppers, mango and sweet pepper salsa.

also had some loverly red crab apple sized apples that were delicious to eat raw given late in the year so couldn't resist making another batch of applesauce and turned out red like crazy. tried an experiment and added hot peppers to a jar before processing for a spicy applesauce to have w/pork.

still have honey to extract and was reading an article on a paper about spicy honey is the new fad so try infusing some honey w/hot peppers.

so all-in-all was good, as usual still chopping up the remains of the gardens for tilling and glad and sad the season is over.

how was yours?

#2 2017-10-02 21:23:23

susanr

Re: End 'o Season

With hubby traveling back & forth to Regina and Saskatoon, not much got planted.  Did plant some potatoes though - seed potatoes were past their best before date and planted quite late.  Not sure if/how they produced as yet.  With hubby going into lock down for stem cell therapy in three weeks - and will be there for at least 4 weeks, I will dig up a test hill near the end of October.  That's all that got planted.  Our fruit trees were blooming like crazy early in the year.  Unfortunately, we had an extremely bad infestation of tent caterpillars that ate everything - leaves, blooms and the small fruit that was forming :crying:

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2017-10-03 11:36:53

Journey's End

Re: End 'o Season

I planted everything with such great intentions. Then I got a 6 day a week job at a local vegetable farm. Amazingly, a lot did very well even counting the weeds. My squassh is abundant, especially the spaghetti squash. Lost of beets and rutabegas and carrots. Oodles of tomatoes too, though with the frost last night I;m not sure how many green ones will survive.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

Board footer