AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-09-22 15:56:56

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

A good article on breeding for production by Don Schrider

#2 2017-09-22 23:20:46

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: A good article on breeding for production by Don Schrider

My Dutch Booted Bantams are. They produce so many eggs per hen they put my actual laying hens to shame. They go broody readily and they have no problem with fertility, even when older. I wish my other chickens were like them.

#3 2017-09-23 00:28:43

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I'd be mad at 85-90% fertility. 100% or bust.

Mine are productive for my needs. It helps if I don't actually know how many chickens I have ... I am putting 27 cockerels in the freezer and keeping 4 for further consideration. Culling a couple of hens I like less and a pullet that isn't up to snuff. Kept back 4 pullets for replacements.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers   www.partridgechanteclers.com
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - www.lakelandchickengroup.com

#4 2017-10-04 20:43:51

barnyardcritters Jr.
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Interesting

Raise quality breeding stock of: Fullblood Fleckvieh Simmental (www.srlfleckvieh.simdif.com) and Fainting Goats (www.srlfainters.webs.com).
Also, I like Jersey Giants. If you or someone you knows has Jersey Giant chicks (Black, Splash, Blue) send me an email...myself and a friend would be most interested.

#5 2017-10-05 01:20:19

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I skimmed but need a more in-depth reading.  I find it interesting that Houdans, my breed, are mentioned.  I am working towards dual purpose characteristics in the breed and so far that means body, but I have to admit they are producing fewer eggs than when they were sheerly hatchery birds.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#6 2017-10-05 14:00:18

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

That's a terrific article.  Can it be pinned?  If "your" breed is mentioned it is particularly interesting but everyone will find ideas for selecting birds ( I'm just about to choose a few roosters to overwinter here) and eggs.  I like the idea of setting eggs hatched before 10 am.  Even I can manage that!

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#7 2017-10-05 16:37:43

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.
Website

heda gobbler wrote:

That's a terrific article.  Can it be pinned?  If "your" breed is mentioned it is particularly interesting but everyone will find ideas for selecting birds ( I'm just about to choose a few roosters to overwinter here) and eggs.  I like the idea of setting eggs hatched before 10 am.  Even I can manage that!

There is a flaw there ... even production breeds lay eggs that take longer than 24 hours. Every 26 hours on average, actually. So a bird that lays at 8 a.m. today will lay at 10 a.m. tomorrow and noon the day after that.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers   www.partridgechanteclers.com
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - www.lakelandchickengroup.com

#8 2017-10-05 22:25:54

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

GalaBoys wrote:

heda gobbler wrote:

There is a flaw there ... even production breeds lay eggs that take longer than 24 hours. Every 26 hours on average, actually. So a bird that lays at 8 a.m. today will lay at 10 a.m. tomorrow and noon the day after that.

I could never figure that out.  I would expect eggs any time of day, and I check,  but  my hens always seem to have laid their eggs by early afternoon at the latest- I never see a  hen laying in the evening. I wonder if the hens hold on to those late eggs till the next morning? Most of the eggs seem to have been laid by noon.

Board footer