AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Sheep
  •  » Breeding season approaches...

#1 2017-10-05 14:13:05

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Breeding season approaches...

I usually put the ram (s) in with the ewes November 1 for early April lambs but I am wondering if I should this year.  I haven't sold many 2017 lambs this year so will have to overwinter a lot. The fires over the summer killed almost all livestock sales from what I can tell.  Everyone is stretched for pasture, barns and cash.  The nearest abattoir has no butcher so isn't operating and from what I can tell the next nearest abattoir is at least a six hour drive away.  The stockyards don't handle sheep of any kind.

Things could be very different in the spring and weaned lambs are easiest age to sell but I think it is probably wisest to keep the ram (s) penned this year.  Maybe just maybe put best fleece ram in with just a couple of best fleeced ewes.  Don't think I could stand a year without lambs!

Last edited by heda gobbler (2017-10-05 14:13:37)

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#2 2017-10-05 16:35:14

barnyardcritters Jr.
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: Breeding season approaches...

Oh man. I can imagine that would have an effect and will probably linger on even into next year too. Hopefully all can get their lives back together after this summer. For you guys in B.C. had quite the experience!

Raise quality breeding stock of: Fullblood Fleckvieh Simmental (www.srlfleckvieh.simdif.com) and Fainting Goats (www.srlfainters.webs.com).
Also, I like Jersey Giants. If you or someone you knows has Jersey Giant chicks (Black, Splash, Blue) send me an email...myself and a friend would be most interested.

#3 2017-10-05 22:28:08

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

heda gobbler wrote:

I usually put the ram (s) in with the ewes November 1 for early April lambs but I am wondering if I should this year.  I haven't sold many 2017 lambs this year so will have to overwinter a lot. The fires over the summer killed almost all livestock sales from what I can tell.  Everyone is stretched for pasture, barns and cash.  The nearest abattoir has no butcher so isn't operating and from what I can tell the next nearest abattoir is at least a six hour drive away.  The stockyards don't handle sheep of any kind.

Things could be very different in the spring and weaned lambs are easiest age to sell but I think it is probably wisest to keep the ram (s) penned this year.  Maybe just maybe put best fleece ram in with just a couple of best fleeced ewes.  Don't think I could stand a year without lambs!

Is it possible that because of this wretched summer, lambs will be in short supply, so the price will be very good next spring? Might be worth it......

#4 2017-10-06 00:22:40

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

I skipped breeding last fall as I hadn't sold any of my spring lambs, I managed to sell all of them this year but having very little pasture I went through a lot of hay over winter. Better to wait till your current lambs are sold with such limited resources.

Last edited by Crooked Coop (2017-10-06 00:23:34)

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#5 2017-10-06 02:24:37

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Heda, even here livestock sales were slow.  I have not sold many either.  If you dont sell them young, it seems no one wants them...and they want them early in the season.  I will be putting the ram in this weekend.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#6 2017-10-06 03:24:59

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

it is true, all the interest is in weaned lambs.  Mine were weaned in July and August, no one was buying then.  Now we are in a brief time when people are looking for a new ram, then things will go quiet for the winter.  Yet you are still putting your ram in Sue?

Several of the Shetland breeders I know have retired while others haven't kept a ram in a while.  Ominous perhaps?

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#7 2017-10-06 12:33:08

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Yes, he will go in this weekend.  I find that if I have weaned lambs when the grass is green and the season is early they sell.  I can also sell them more cheaply since they have not used many resources at this time.  People like the lower price point.

#8 2017-10-06 12:34:18

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I also seem to have a better, healthier lambing season when I lamb while the ewes are still on hay and not pasture.

• Index
  •  » Sheep
  •  » Breeding season approaches...

Board footer