AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-10-06 09:46:48

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Macula Degeneration

I guess there could be much worse things in life in fact I know there could be. I almost feel bad wrtiting this but I just wanted to talk. I have been through a rough month of changing my prescription glasses twice due to very poor myopia. But for some reason I still had trouble seeing out of my left eye. So I called my ophtamologist and went to visit her ASAP. She found that my macula has changed since January. This means that I am loosing my central vision in that eye. How long will it take? No one knows. However, I do have a generalized condition that affects collagen in my body and thus as the years go one it is getting harder and harder to do things. I am a positive person overall and do not let my condition hinder my life. I butcher my own birds and take care of my acreage, house and children by myself. I work 40 hours a week and study part-time. I keep busy so that I do not think about it. However, this last blow is very hard for me becasue it is making it difficult to do normal stuff and I guess that it will just get worse. I am pretty bummed out and I find it hard t stay positive and motivated to the things I love. I know in my heart that this is not the end of the world but it still sucks.

Just wanted to vent a little....thanks

Last edited by Cjones28 (2017-10-06 09:47:09)

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#2 2017-10-06 10:42:30

AuntieEvil
Website

Re: Macula Degeneration

Loss of one's vision would be very difficult to deal with. Hopefully they will be able to at least slow the degenerative process. Maybe someone on here knows of things that may help.
In any case :hugz:

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#3 2017-10-06 11:09:02

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

That sucks.  It's not news that anyone would want to hear.  I'm sorry that you will be travelling this path.  I hope they find something that will slow this process down or even put it into a remission.  Eyesight is something many people take for granted and when I see people doing things and not protecting their eyes, it drive me crazy.   Hugs to you, try to keep strong.  :hugz:

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#4 2017-10-06 12:22:42

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Vent away. It must be awful. Hopefully someone here has some ideas.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#5 2017-10-06 12:30:42

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Vent to your heart’s content.  They test me for this every couple years and it makes me nervous just to think about it.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#6 2017-10-06 13:11:06

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

I'm sorry to hear that bad news. It's a terrible thing to lose your vision. I cringe whenever I go by guys doing construction on the side of the road and they aren't wearing eye protection. I think there will be some amazing technology though to  help, there are already specialized glasses that are in the works or available that might help. :hugz:

#7 2017-10-06 14:28:35

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

Vent away. My hub's dad lived with the condition for years and became clinical blind. However, he still managed to do things. I believe he got a lot of help through the CNIB. My hubs is tested regularly for it. He takes Lutein which might help. My mother also had the condition. She lost vision in one eye. She would say it was like looking at a picture but only being able to she the edges, nothing in the middle. She did learn to managed but she used to say it sucked.

Taking things a day at a time.

#8 2017-10-06 14:51:20

niglefritz

How frustrating this must be. Whenever a person loses something so important it can be a very difficult time.

I looked up herbal helps and found all this information covering the gamut of helps available. Hopefully you can find something that can help you & Toybarons as well.

http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altme … generation

FOCUS: blue JG FUN: RIR, copper marans, silkies, guinea, muscovy, IR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#9 2017-10-06 18:15:55

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Avastin is commonly used to treat MD, with good success. Do ask your ophthalmologist!!

#10 2017-10-06 20:41:57

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I have not been diagnosed with any such vision problem, but am mourning the loss of what used to be extremely acute vision. Now everything up close is a blur. I cannot do ANYTHING without cheaters on. I am sorry to hear about this because we use our eyes and all other sense, for so much.

If I may address your comment about being positive. In the past 9 months I have been told often that I have to be positive. I am going to scream and slug the next person who tells me to be positive. If diseases could be cured with positive then none of us would be sick! In some cases, there is truly nothing to be positive about. Positive sounds very judgy to me. There is moralizing attached. Do not do that to yourself!

Instead I would urge you to be hopeful, informed, determined, accepting but seeking creative solutions, making required adaptations. All of these are on the positive side of the scale and imply positive actions to a new situation. But just being positive alone is not the right approach. Putting a smile on your face is NOT an action that carries any solution to real life changes. That sort of positive is just a paint job.

You describe yourself as an engaged, forward moving, hard working person. More of the same will see you through this and if you have times when you feel really down and negative about this, you are entitled! It's not positive that gets us through. It's carrying on when it's that last thing you want to do.  Spine, grit, strength, whether you're smiling or not, this is what it takes. And this you can do. (insert hugging emoticon)

Last edited by uno (2017-10-06 20:44:05)

#11 2017-10-07 14:25:04

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Wow! Thank you all for your uplifting comments. I decided that I will take it one  day at a time as that is all I feel I can do. I am still capable of workibg snd studying and it has given the incentive to continue my studies and finish them before it gets worse if possible. But I do realize that this is  not the end however I was and maybe still am pi**ed off that it is happening. I know that I will get over it and that I will adapt because adapting  is what I do best.

Thanks for listening everyone it's great to have you guys around.

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#12 2017-10-12 20:54:44

canoecreekchix
New Here

My 92 yr old motherinlaw has macular degeneration, she's had it for a few years.  She has to go regularly to get a shot of some kind in her eye.  Like every 2 or 3 months. It is keeping it from getting worse.  She still reads a lot and has no trouble seeing. Ask your opthamologist for a referral to an eye surgeon.

Board footer