AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-10-07 18:49:55

RRChickenmom
New Here

Building material question

Hello. We are in the process of building a chicken coop to raise chicken next year. Can we use silicone caulking to seal the cracks or is there a better product to use? Any recommended brands? Thank you.

#2 2017-10-07 20:02:21

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Re: Building material question

In my first coop I used tenplast for the interior walls and caulked the cracks.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#3 2017-10-07 20:12:06

lornem
Growing Member

I would not use anything. You want a little air movement = healthy birds (even in cold temps)
Fresh water and good quality feed more important.

Better to be dumb as a stump and learn as you go,...than to be a know it all and get stumped:

Live and learn while thinking outside the box.

#4 2017-10-08 15:11:48

Back2roots
Growing Member

Air movement, yes - drafts, no. If it were me, I would caulk the cracks. Just put in plenty of ventilation up around the roof area.

#5 2017-10-08 17:51:14

lornem
Growing Member

If you want air to vent out the roof you have to have an intake somewhere lower. Otherwise the vents are useless, that's why imperfect joints are ok or you can cut another opening. (Same result)

Better to be dumb as a stump and learn as you go,...than to be a know it all and get stumped:

Live and learn while thinking outside the box.

Board footer