AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-10-02 18:13:34

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Blue Brahma Pullet

It's snowing here today so I'm sitting inside looking at my Brahma books and pictures of my birds. This blue brahma pullet looks pretty good. Her shape is nice, her body is in proper proportion to her legs. Her breast is rounded, her back slopes up toward the tail and the cushion flows from the back which is what you want in a Brahma. She has a nicely formed tail triangle with the proper number of feathers, 2 rows of 7 and it's at the 35 - 45 degrees. Her comb is nice size and her wattles are small and tight. Her only problem is she is blue so I could never show her. They don't have an other colour class in Brahmas.

https://image.ibb.co/isbYgG/IMG_6313.jpg

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#2 2017-10-02 20:27:18

Butterboy
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Blue Brahma Pullet

She sure does have true brahma type! How is she for size?

In regards to showing her, you can, its just as a non-standard colour for brahmas, she would not be able to progress past best of variety. You see this happening all the time with buff chanteclers, blue laced red wyandottes, blue copper marans, etc. The first step to getting them in the standard and getting a specific class is to show them!

I just want to FARM!

#3 2017-10-02 20:43:36

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

She is beautiful whatever and she doesn't have to know LOL!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#4 2017-10-02 21:18:30

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Butterboy - what class would she go under? I looked at the show book and there's no AOV in Asiatics like there is in other classes.

Her size is good

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#5 2017-10-02 21:23:54

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

She's a pretty Girl.   :Congrats2:    Love her colour.  :yess:

#6 2017-10-03 04:00:12

Schipperkesue
Administrator

The nice thing about showing unrecognized colors is you 1. Get a judges opinion on the quality of your stock and will give you a direction to work and 2. Helps you promote your birds and generate interest.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#7 2017-10-03 06:26:36

Butterboy
A.C.E. Addicted

shaneb99 wrote:

Butterboy - what class would she go under? I looked at the show book and there's no AOV in Asiatics like there is in other classes.

Her size is good

While there is not a 'class' specified in the show book, when you do your entries online, just leave out the class number and state the breed, variety and wether it is a P,K,H or C. Im the one taking the entries so i really don't care about the class number lol.

I just want to FARM!

#8 2017-10-04 16:30:36

KathyS
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Your Brahma has lovely colour, Shane99.  Looking forward to seeing her in person!
I'm glad you pointed out the omission of AOV for Brahma.  I've made a note to fix that in the class list for next time.
In 2015 I simplified the showbook template CHB uses for the summer shows to list only breeds, omitting all varieties. The version we use for the Fall show has more classes listed, but the committee might want to consider the short list for all of our shows.  We probably don't have large enough numbers of entries to warrant listing and numbering the most common varieties separately, and it can cause confusion when a variety (or AOV) class isn't included.

Hawthorn Hill Poultry
Exhibition Buff Orpingtons, Cochins, Chanteclers & Rhode Island Reds

Member of APA, CHB, POAA, CFI and Cochins International

#9 2017-10-05 01:26:13

Schipperkesue
Administrator

A big thumbs up to that Kathy!  .thumbsup.  Who else plans to enter?

#10 2017-10-08 22:47:47

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Blue Brahma was sold so unless the new owner enters her next year she won't be going.

I had a bit of a logistics problem anyway. It's 2 hours each way to Lacombe from here so taking her up to be caged prior to 8:30am Saturday would mean I'd have to take her up Friday, then another trip on Saturday for food and water then again Sunday to bring her home.  I'm just making excuses because none of that is insurmountable if I wanted to do it. Maybe another year.

#11 2017-10-09 04:40:50

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I often ask friends to feed and water my birds.

Board footer