AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-10-27 17:28:16

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Selecting breeders

I was watching a video of Joel Salatin, the Pastured Poultry guy talking about selecting breeders. Among the normal things like size, shape, colour etc. he mentioned that he never breeds a hen until she is 2 years old.  He said it's to make sure she is healthy, smart enough to survive hawk attacks and things like that. It's an interesting concept that I've never thought about. I don't breed pullets until the following spring. I like to make sure they make it through the winter. But I don't know if I'm disciplined enough to wait until the following year. I'm usually anxious to see what progress I'm making in my breeding and I frequently butcher my older roosters at the end the year to make room for new ones. What do you think?

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#2 2017-10-27 20:27:59

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Selecting breeders

I don't breed my turkeys until their second year to make sure they mature nicely. In the second year I like to see broody inclination.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#3 2017-10-27 20:58:44

Butterboy
A.C.E. Addicted

And with a lot of colour patterns, they don't really show properly till the second year. I know of notable breeders of laced and pencilled wyandottes who never breed from pullets. I have herd it with brahmas too.

I just want to FARM!

#4 2017-10-27 21:55:50

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.

Another reason is for lymphoid leukosis.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#5 2017-10-28 00:27:21

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I am 54 and I don’t have time for this.  I have too much work to do with this breed before I die.  hidxing  :veryfunny:

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#6 2017-10-28 01:40:08

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Butterboy wrote:

And with a lot of colour patterns, they don't really show properly till the second year. I know of notable breeders of laced and pencilled wyandottes who never breed from pullets. I have herd it with brahmas too.

We were able to chat with Brian Knox just a wee bit ago.  This is a man who knows the lace breeds.  He always waits for the second year for breeding.  Learned a lots for this man.  And came to the realization that you do not really know your birds till the 2nd year.  You get to see your birds in a stage of maturity and after the moult feathering will be more true.

Last edited by la-chicken (2017-10-28 01:41:05)

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#7 2017-10-28 11:33:25

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

I hear you la-chicken. I chatted with Terry Gerow for hours and learnt so much about assessment for turkeys! Lovely to have someone show you rather than just reading it!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#8 2017-10-29 02:01:59

OC
Growing Member

I have certainly seen some surprises after the "adult" molt so breeding after second year makes lots of sense.
I have a closed flock, so waiting two years to see who survives isn't that crucial, the flock has been "weeded out" long time ago. :)
I prefer to blend breeding pens of 1 2 and 3 year olds, seems to work well here.

#9 2017-10-29 02:45:58

Love Brahmas
New Here

:goodpost:

If you can't find me I'm busy charming the Brahmas and, of course, turkeys.
Darks, Lights, Buffs, GL, BLG, BLR, and Pyle.

#10 2017-10-29 11:30:04

lornem
Growing Member

I don't breed for show, only production traits. To minimize inbreeding I change the roosters every year.
I breed all my selected pullets, 50% of the best 2 yr old hens, 50 % of the best 3 yr old etc. thus always culling half my older breeders yearly.
Seems to work for me.

Better to be dumb as a stump and learn as you go,...than to be a know it all and get stumped:

Live and learn while thinking outside the box.

Board footer