AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-10-26 16:53:07

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

'HOT' Honey

well, initially tried on a whim after reading a few places online about the popularity of 'hot' honey.

tried using one of those rollers to uncap some this year and for me was a disaster. ruined a lot of the comb and created teeny wax particles that plug up strainers immediately. ended up going back to using a long sharp knife. have a hot knife too but find a sharp knife that is long enuf to span a deep frame to be the easiest and best results.

live and learn

good thing the wax floats so quickly as kept adding from extractor to pail w/honey gate till last was the wax/honey mix that floated so gathered and rendered in a 200°F oven

also had a few frames that crystalized so scraped them down to the foundation and rendered it too

so had a bunch of honey that already had been heated and a whack of different hot peppers left over from greenhouse so decided to play a little.

wowza ...... 'hot' honey is REAL addictive. ended up chopping up hot peppers and adding to a pot that have kept on lowest setting in stove for 3 days now stirring occasionally. ready to strain and jar. have a teeny type hot pepper so add one to jar before filling just for the look of it.

I'm OK w/hot peppers, sauce etc. enjoy it occasionally but not ga-ga about it. but hot honey is really something ya could easily get addicted to. have used on everything from plain cake donuts that bought that didn't have a sugar coating to dipping smoked sausage in and boy is is ever different. very habit forming. they say is a real southern thing to drizzle on fried chicken.

on of this years items for the c'mas baskets that give in lieu of store bought stuff.

some other uses https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/natio … ty-italian

#2 2017-10-26 19:26:09

susanr

Re: 'HOT' Honey

Sounds interesting.  Haven't heard of it before.  Thank you for posting the link.  .thumbsup.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2017-11-02 11:59:18

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

hmmmm, sounds great.  May have to give it a try.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#4 2017-11-02 15:39:40

niglefritz

I made over 74 types of infused honey in the past. A hot type was interesting and yes, had many uses. I used hot pepper flakes. I never heated the honey up much...just enough to mix things carefully in, then with whatever I used, let it sit 2-3 weeks in a cool place & strained it.

The hot honey will get hotter the longer it sits with any residual hot pepper pieces in it.

Enjoy!

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans FUN: silkies, ameraucana, guinea, muscovy, runners, Eggs: hybrid RIR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

Board footer