AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-11-13 19:05:59

Journey's End

Troubleshooting question

I have a flock of about 45 hens. Half are this spring's hatch. All are of laying age.  Egg production has been down to about 10 eggs a day for a while now. My fault. Too many roosters in the coop and they were eating much of the feed and stressing the hens out.

On Friday I remedied that.  I put 17 roosters in the freezer and left 6 for the 45 hens on Friday. In doing so the hens were locked outside for the day so I could get the roosters easier. Since then I haven't gotten more than 2 eggs a day. Today nothing. They have oyster shell, 14 hour light, indoor outdoor access and more than enough chicken feed and water.  It's been 4 days now and production hasn't gone back up. There have been no unexpected deaths and everyone's healthy.

Temps have been above zero in the day and barely below at night, and only for about a week now. Before that it was in the teens during the day.

Any suggestions to get them laying again?

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#2 2017-11-13 19:21:45

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Troubleshooting question

You said you have 14 hours of light but have you extended morning, evening or both? I think you need to lengthen the evening not the morning because this time of year sundown is a few minutes earlier every day and they can sense that. Technically what you're supposed to do is shorten the day up to eight hours, then gradually bring it up to 14 hours over a period of a couple weeks to simulate spring however I realize that's impractical for most people. Otherwise they are probably molting, it's that time of year.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#3 2017-11-13 21:25:02

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.

Mine get mad when I change things and they slow down on laying for awhile.

If you have dewormed with a proper dewormer, checked for mites and lice, and everything else is tickety boo, you can try adding some dried mint to their feed. I read a study that showed it increased laying and it has certainly worked multiple times.with my flock.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#4 2017-11-14 01:41:18

Journey's End

No worms or mites. The light goes from 7am to 9pm. I'll try changing it up to earlier and see if that makes a difference. I don't think I have any dried mint around so that might have to wait.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#5 2017-11-14 04:23:20

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Your light time is good now. I think it's just time of year and onset of cooler weather. Mine slowed right down when it turned cold but have since started up again. And mine are on almost natural days. I want them to rest.

#6 2017-11-14 05:19:11

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Gala where do you get mint leaves in sufficient quantity at a reasonable price? The studies I've seen say you need 20g/kg of food. I figure her 51 chickens eat about 6 kg/day that means she would need 120 grams of mint leaves per day.  Mint sells for about 10 cents/gram so it would cost about $12/day if my math and prices are right.

#7 2017-11-14 05:34:25

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.

I grow it. Mint spreads like a weed.

You can also get it at bulk barn.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#8 2017-11-14 07:04:28

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Growing your own mint is always a good thing.  Ahem...Mojitos!

In the fall I let the chooks experience natural light reduction and drop their protein level.  I worm them and then increase the light and protein.  They gradually return to laying capacity in time to collect for hatching after Christmas.  The cold weather around here can be hard on production as well.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#9 2017-11-14 23:16:10

niglefritz

Growing mint is easy, but you need a moist area. It likes that most. I only collected a small amount this year, for teas. I will have to pick more next year and experiment a bit.

Bulk Barn is expensive. I would try a big herbalist place if you don't want to grow it & have it shipped. Richters.com might be a place to try. A loose tea wholesaler might have some as well. Generally the more you buy, the better the price.

Thanks Sue, that is something to keep in mind.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans FUN: silkies, ameraucana, guinea, muscovy, runners, Eggs: hybrid RIR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#10 2017-11-15 02:30:50

Schipperkesue
Administrator

niglefritz wrote:

Mojitos? w.i.n.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#11 2017-11-15 17:56:11

niglefritz

Schipperkesue wrote:

niglefritz wrote:

Mojitos? w.i.n.

Haha...no, the other information. I don't drink. Good try. :veryfunny:

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans FUN: silkies, ameraucana, guinea, muscovy, runners, Eggs: hybrid RIR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

Board footer