AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-11-01 16:48:48

yardbirds
Administrator

About to be henless

Well, the dreaded egg eating syndrome has struck again and will be culling my entire small backyard flock of 8.  Birds should have been laying by now and I have been patiently waiting and seeing birds in the nest boxes and hollowed out shavings on the coop floor...and no eggs at 27 and 29 weeks of age....this morning saw one of the rosecomb rhode island red/dominque crosses in the lower nest box and two others curiously watching her...and both lavender orpingtons sitting on the roost access to the upper box pecking at a ceramic egg in it, so tried an experiment....took one of those ceramic eggs and placed it on the coop floor....a nice beige one...the color of these breeds eggs....and lo and behold....was like a flock of woodpeckers trying to break that ceramic egg....all around in a circle assuming perhaps a group effort would break this unbeknownst to them unbreakable facsimile of what has become their preferred breakfast.  Nope...no roll away nest boxes this time around and not fiddling with trying to break a habit that probably has been in the making for at least the last 4 weeks if not 6 or 8 weeks....culling should be done by the weeks end...my neighbour will be doing it...he's an avid hunter and along with his dad will enjoy these nice tender young birds.  On the bright side...without birds this winter....2nd winter in 3 years....mink two years ago decimated my flock...I may actually be able to take a winter vacation.... :cull:

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#2 2017-11-01 19:49:10

susanr

Re: About to be henless

Oh dear - that really sucks :crying:  A winter vacation sounds like a good trade off though =)  Hopefully, next springs hatch will not produce egg eaters.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2017-11-01 23:25:51

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

That's too bad.  Think of all the spare time and money you will have.  :)

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#4 2017-11-01 23:29:13

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Maddening when they do that. For the longest time I suspected my birds of pecking (and eating) eggs because I had so many that were cracked. Turns out the eggs were breaking when they hit the hard nest box. Padded them up with old feed sacks and not another cracked egg. My chickens will eat a broken egg, but only if it's broken. They do not peck them until they do break. Sometimes chickens just don't know what's good for them.

#5 2017-11-02 00:51:06

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

you should get roll out nest boxes for the new girls so you wont have it happen again.

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#6 2017-11-02 00:58:45

yardbirds
Administrator

Thanks everyone, it's infuriating...my nest boxes are so full of shavings that one needs to dig to find the eggs...I actually did manage to save one today by locking the rest of the flock out of the hen house when one was on the nest, and a half hour later let her out and found her egg in the box....at first I thought it was a ceramic egg, the shell was so hard but then found the ceramic one and it was white and the egg laid was brown.

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#7 2017-11-02 01:30:54

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.

That sucks. I have not had that issue, but I am careful to never overcrowd, to always supply proper feed, water and light, and to always have oyster shell and grit available. That, and not keeping hybrids or high-strung breeds. It's working so far.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#8 2017-11-02 01:36:06

niglefritz

What we did was to make a roll away out of a Rubbermaid. It works very well. We now need to make a few more for a few of the others.

How did you get rid of your mink? It seems as though we currently have one going through our ducks.

Depending on where you travel by next spring & what you might want...AND if this mink leaves us any birds, you can have some of my birds if you would like. The offer is open...

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans FUN: silkies, ameraucana, guinea, muscovy, runners, Eggs: hybrid RIR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#9 2017-11-02 02:07:50

yardbirds
Administrator

Thank you kindly, niglefritz, I may take you up on that offer.  The mink left after killing all of my birds and never returned as far as I know but the coop and run are covered in hardware cloth and nothing gets in but mice that burrow beneath

Soldier of Tolerance

#10 2017-11-02 03:36:10

Schipperkesue
Administrator

:crying:  So sorry to hear this, YB.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#11 2017-11-02 03:37:38

yardbirds
Administrator

Thanks Sue.

Soldier of Tolerance

#12 2017-11-02 11:21:49

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

That sucks.  I'm sorry to hear about this.  On the upside, a winter vacation will be a great distraction.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#13 2017-11-07 15:15:25

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

Before you cull, try putting mustard in an egg or three and leaving them in the nest. It always works for me when I notice them eating eggs. I blow out a few eggs and fill them with a syring full of mustard, seal the ends with candle wax. Also hanging a cabbage on a rope will help with the boredom and take their minds off of it. I have never had one continue.

enjoying a small flock of chickens Barnevelders Buff Sussex, Orpingtons Barred Rocks and Wyandottes and belgian malines,  with my husband, a golden retriever,black lab , one cat. and occasionally our 4 kids , their partners, and 6 grandchildren.

#14 2017-11-07 15:23:23

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Good idea! Do you use hot mustard or the regular kind?

#15 2017-11-14 09:03:18

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

Just the regular kind.

enjoying a small flock of chickens Barnevelders Buff Sussex, Orpingtons Barred Rocks and Wyandottes and belgian malines,  with my husband, a golden retriever,black lab , one cat. and occasionally our 4 kids , their partners, and 6 grandchildren.

Board footer