AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » Coop temperature controllers

#1 2017-11-15 17:23:45

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Coop temperature controllers

I keep small heaters in my houses and after years of trying to figure out how to regulate the temperature for the last 2 years I've been using the same digital temperature controllers I use for my brooders in the spring. STC-1000 is the type. Because I built them to be portable by having a male plug in and the output to a female plug I can use them anywhere. The temperature sensor is a meter long so I can mount the controller somewhere convenient and out of the way and put the sensor beside the nest boxes for instance and the heater up out of the way safe.  Because they are digital I can set them at any temperature. 5c seems to keep the house above freezing and comfortable for me but you could set them at 0c or below if you wanted.

There are videos online on how to wire them but essentially they are a switch. Power in one side and out the other controlled by the settings like a timer. I build them using a heavy duty block heater cord. I cut the cord in half and put the controller in the middle like a switch. That's simplified but it gives you a cord with a male plug at one end and a female socket at the other you can plug a heater or light into.

They work great. I was checking all the houses this morning and even though it's -9c outside the houses we're all around 5c. The only one where the heat was on is the big house which has 2 windows open and the ducks and geese going in and out all the time and it was 1.9c. In the other houses the chickens were still sitting on the roosts and the temp was holding steady.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#2 2017-11-15 18:08:42

GalaBoys
Banned

Re: Coop temperature controllers

Sounds like a thermocube.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#3 2017-11-16 03:06:37

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Coop temperature controllers

Not a thermocube. More like a thermostat.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

• Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » Coop temperature controllers

Board footer