AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-12-19 17:24:22

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Dog ear infection

I have a dog with a recurring, actually constant,  ear infection in 1 ear. I've been to the vet several times and they prescribe a little bottle of Surolan and while it helps it never completely cures it. Frankly the Polysporin Ear drops from the drugstore work just as well.  They think it's related to her skin allergies and since she's been on Apoquel it's been worse. I think her immune system is suppressed and she can't really fight it off.  I clean it every couple of days and put Zymox in when she's not on the antibiotics which seems to help for awhile. But it's flaring up again and I'm thinking of another trip to the vet, another couple hundred dollars and another little bottle of antibiotics. I wish there was a better solution.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#2 2017-12-19 19:00:15

susanr

Re: Dog ear infection

I found this link for natural remedies.  Don't know if they work - haven't had this issue myself.
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/5- … nfections/

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2017-12-19 19:23:42

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

I had a cat with ear mites. The vet put in almond oil to fill the canal and gently massaged. Cleared it right up. Don't know if it would work for other things?

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#4 2017-12-19 20:32:42

AuntieEvil
Website

Have you considered trying different food? Constant infections can be the result of inflammation caused by an over loaded immune system, if the information I have read is correct.
If you are feeding commercial food, it can have ingredients some dogs can't tolerate. Our dog throws up if he eats anything with corn or wheat in it. He also gets itchy, smelly skin on most commercial foods. We feed him primarily homemade food, but can get away with grain free Rollover and Actrium. Of course there are more expensive packaged foods that are great as well.
I've even heard stories of dogs allergic to chicken and other meats. Go figure?
Hope you find out the cause soon. It must be irritating to both you and the dog.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#5 2017-12-19 23:21:56

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Infection or infestation? TO clean the messy ears of my doodle I use hand sanitizer. The alcohol content seems to dry out the gunk that those beastly ears mites seem to thrive in. It was suggested to me by someone here on ACE (Arctic Sun?) and it has worked well for me.

#6 2017-12-19 23:33:25

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

The vet has looked at it under a microscope and says it's not mites. She doesn't get commercial food she gets raw and mostly rabbit although some chicken and turkey. I think it's chicken feed that's the problem. I can't stop her from eating chicken food whenever she can. I would either have to lock her or the chickens up which seems to defeat the purpose of an lgd.  It's going to snow for a couple of days and the chickens won't go very far out anyway so I'm going to keep the gate closed so the dog can't get in and see if it makes a difference.

#7 2017-12-20 13:38:32

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Often a recurring ear infection is the result of another chronic problem.  How are her teeth?  Sometimes an abscess will fuel an ear issue.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#8 2017-12-20 17:59:52

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

Maybe your dog's diet is lacking something.  I have been feeding Missing Link Original supplement to my dogs for years.  It helps boost the immune system, and helps in other ways too.

Here's their website if you want to read about it.

https://missinglinkproducts.com/

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#9 2017-12-20 23:40:27

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I give her Missing Link supplements now. We went back to the vet today and he put Osurina in her ears. Osurina is fairly new and a longer acting antibacterial, antifungal gel. This is a different vet than I had been taking her to. He said this stuff is supposed to work way better than the Surolan drops the old vet had been prescribing. It takes 2 treatments a week apart and then she should be good.  Her teeth are good. It's all related to her dermal allergies.

#10 2017-12-21 15:14:02

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

I've been a dog groomer for almost 25 years now and when I first started very few dogs had issues. Goldens had hot spots and Cockers had ear infections, now almost every breed and cross bred has major issues. All related to immune malfunction, allergies, chronic infections, digestive issues etc. IMO all caused by our toxic environment, air, water and food are full of chemicals that accumulate in all living things. Avoid any food but grass fed red meat, no poultry, no grain, no fish, go for the most limited ingredient diet you can find. I fed my dogs salmon oil caps for people that were certified heavy metal and toxin free as salmon oil is a good anti inflammatory but must be clean. There are many commercial dog foods that have excellent quality ingredients, unfortunately they are expensive. This will be a lifelong problem for your dog so you have to address the underlying issue as best you can. Support the immune system, detox and as clean a diet as you can manage. I use Vets Best ear cleaner, no alcohol so it doesn't sting, for active infection use the cleaner every day. Put cleaner in his ear, rub gently and let him shake, wipe the crud that comes out but just the outer ear. Don't use Q-tips or dig down into the ear canal, just cotton balls on the easily accessible parts. You may have to repeat this a few times to get all the gunk out, allow about a half hour for the ears to dry a bit then put in the ear relief dry, it's cream that dries to a powder. Put enough in just to coat the inner ear, rub gently and leave it in to dry. For maintenance I'd do the same once or twice a week to help prevent infection.

your local pet store should carry it: https://www.amazon.ca/Vets-Best-2-Pack- … B0002AQMB4

really good site: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

some basic info you can do more searching on: http://www.caninevitality.com.au/autoim … -approach/

good info here: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/bo … ne-system/

Last edited by Crooked Coop (2017-12-22 03:43:00)

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#11 2017-12-21 16:54:59

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

could be that most commercial dog food is corn based and the corn used is 100% GMO drenched in glyphosphate. the only corn that isn't is pop corn.

even the frou-frou dog foods have either rice or barley or some kind of grain as the base and all of them are now drenched in glyphosphate just a few days before harvest.

if you compare the graphs for glyphosphate use and all these health probs, once not so long ago (70's) that were unheard of, they are identical. now it's in drinking water so cutting out cereals or going organic will only partially work

you are what you eat

#12 2017-12-22 13:06:19

Schipperkesue
Administrator

What breed is this dog?

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#13 2017-12-22 18:04:51

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

She is a Maremma Akbash Cross. Looks mostly like a Maremma however.

I don't feed commercial food. She mostly gets raw rabbit, sometimes some turkey, sometimes chicken if I can't help it but I try you avoid chicken because I know it's a source of food allergies.

Board footer