AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#91 2018-01-05 18:01:54

susanr

Re: The start of a long haul

Hubby had blood work on Tues and a conference call with the oncologist for the chemo yesterday.  She is pleased with the blood work although, she said his platelets are a bit low.  Not to the point that he needs a transfusion - B"H.  He starts his 3 month maintenance chemo with Retiximab next Tues - this chemo is only one day every 3 months.  He also has another CT scan on Jan 24th to see if he is in full remission.

Bonnie seems to be recovering fairly well albeit slowly.  She has good mobility in her left leg - not so much in her right.  She is not in any pain - she does however, voice her displeasure at being locked up.  I take her out with the sling and she is starting to venture further around the yard each time.  Then she is ready for a long nap when she gets in.  I have to discourage her from going places I can't follow which she doesn't seem to understand.  Her back legs can't support her full weight as yet.  She has been crated for 3 weeks now - will keep her crated for some time yet.  I am pleased with her progress so far - the vet is too.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#92 2018-01-06 03:57:43

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

:yess:

#93 2018-01-06 14:30:20

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Good news. Red meat, liver and beets might help with the platelet counts- they have worked for me!

#94 2018-01-06 19:19:07

susanr

Thank you uno :thumbsup:  That was my reaction as well.

Thanks for the tip Robbie =)  Hubby is eating a fair amount of red meat, isn't fond of liver.  I do however have some beets I canned in the basement.  Will add them to supper tonight.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#95 2018-01-06 19:34:44

niglefritz

:letseat: Oh that sounds good, especially since he sounds like a meat eater. I am sure he will enjoy his healing feast!

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#96 2018-01-07 10:54:52

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Great news to hear.  clpz  Red meat and beets for breakfast, lunch and supper!  Not really

Baby steps for Bonnie and hopefully she will heal fast.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#97 2018-01-07 12:00:23

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

I like liver and during surgeries and Chemo I craved liver like you wouldn't believe. My counts hardly dropped. STcik with the red meat. OC has a nice recipe for liver soup I'll try to find and post.
Here it is, hope she doesn't mind.
Liver thinly sliced ( lamb or calf )
1/2  small onion
2 small carrots
1/2 parsnip
whole pepper, all spice and bay leaf
parsley or chives if desired.

Wash and pat dry liver and lightly coat in flour and salt and pepper and any other spice that takes your fancy, set aside.
In a pan saute until very light golden, chopped onion, carrots, parsnip peppercorns allspice and bay leaf.
put in liver and brown first on one side, then other.
Cover with soup stock and simmer for 45 min.
Strain and take out the liver slices, cut up in small strips and insert back in to clear soup.
Special treat for those who have lovely eggs,
Put a raw egg yolk in to a soup bowl, pour hot soup over it and serve. yum. :)

Last edited by killerbunny (2018-01-07 12:04:13)

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#98 2018-01-07 14:41:57

susanr

Thank you for the recipe killerbunny =)  I'll see if I can entice him to try it!

#99 2018-01-07 22:37:07

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Liver soup :shock: !! That's wrong! Just so wrong on so many levels. Make it stop!

I like liver. But soup? Nooooo

#100 2018-01-08 00:13:18

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

That soup is delicious but not "livery" if that makes sense.

#101 2018-01-08 00:51:15

niglefritz

I learn something new almost every day on here. We have joked about it before, but I didn't know it was a real thing!

Now...would it work with poultry liver too? I have a whole bunch in the freezer.

My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#102 2018-01-08 11:18:22

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

I would try it.
Also came across a chicken liver spread which involved lightly sautéed chicken liver, onion, garlic, a little prosciutto and herbs turned into a coarse spread on crostini, must try it sounded great.

#103 2018-01-08 16:22:03

niglefritz

Thanks, KB.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Susanr. I was just curious.

#104 2018-01-13 22:10:50

susanr

Hubby had his maintenance chemo this past Tues - so far, so good.  Regular blood testing continues every Thurs and his CT is scheduled for the 24th.  I didn't go with him to chemo as Bonnie still needs help going potty outside with the sling.  On the upside, her left leg is pretty much back to normal - her right is still weak but, is improving.  She managed to stand to eat food yesterday for a short time by herself =)  Still keeping her crated to keep her from reinjuring herself and give her time to strengthen up but, improving almost daily now.  She wants "out" more and more often even in the bitter cold that has come back for a visit.  Sometimes she needs to potty - it seems that more often it is just to get out of the kennel.  She is making a game out of running through the bush with me trying to keep up holding her back end up with the sling.  At least she does slow down for me when necessary.

#105 2018-01-14 06:04:18

Schipperkesue
Administrator

:veryfunny:

Laughing at the dog...happy for the husband.  (And you of course!)

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

Board footer