AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2018-01-10 13:21:36

AuntieEvil
Website

Re: Choosing your main guy.

Does anyone run a flock with no rooster?

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#17 2018-01-10 14:27:55

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

I used to until I got more into it. If hens went broody I would get fertile eggs for them. When poor Lucky died I had no rooster for a few months and I got complaints from some of the neighbours because they liked the crowing! We are rural here.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#18 2018-01-10 16:05:59

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

About 15 years ago I went through one of my periodic realignments and butchered all of my roosters.   I went a couple years without one and I've regretted it ever since.  Not because I missed the crowing or the bare backed hens but just by chance I happened to have had a couple of really nice Light and Dark Brahmas roosters that I never could replace with anything comparable and it took me years to get back there. The hens do just fine without a rooster. One older hen usually takes charge.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#19 2018-01-10 18:06:54

niglefritz

:iagree: And then they fight the new rooster if you get one. Hopefully he can withstand the challenge. We had one new rooster die that way.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#20 2018-01-10 19:37:42

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I group everyone up for the winter and I put some young roosters in with my overflow house where everyone goes I don't have a place for. There's an older rooster and he's pretty laid back but some of the older hens don't take any guff. I watched one young guy sneak up on one of the old hens and she whipped around and took after him like a rooster. Grabbed him by the comb and when he struggled free she leaped at him with her spurs. He beat a hasty retreat to the safety of the roost. :veryfunny:

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#21 2018-01-10 19:46:15

AuntieEvil
Website

That is good news. I have been advised I must refrain from over filling the hen house this time. Figure the best way to do that, is not have a rooster.
Generally in the fall people give roos away, so I can always change my mind. :P

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

Board footer