AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-01-11 15:05:30

PLB
Growing Member

feeding pumpkin and sand

i didnt look for anything like im about to say on this site ,so im hoping its not redundant . i feed all my poultry, geese included pumpkin shells. thats the pumpkin meat after i scoop out all the hulless seed (naked seeded pumpkins mostly kaki). my understanding was it worms them besides they love it. any comment on the worming part would be greatly appreciated. next i feed huge amounts of river sand to my geese.i offer it in an open bucket. the best is free of any small stones. they sort it out and consume the sharp sand. maybe a 4L bucket every 10 days or so. it depends if they can get dirt to eat or not.its frozen now. any feed back on this would be great. iv been doing this for years.:confused:

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#2 2018-01-11 18:24:29

niglefritz

Re: feeding pumpkin and sand

I have heard that it is the seeds that contain the worming part, the meat provides the roughage. I have also heard that the seed doesn't contain enough of whatever substance it is to deworms effectively. The pumpkin is chock full of good nutrition, no matter what!

I have used crushed chilis and I have used broafleaf plantain. As far as the broadleaf plantain, I have proof of as far as deworming horses. It is supposed to help people too (for much more than just worms). I am assuming that both deworm our chickens as I have never seen a worm problem in them since doing this.

Why do you feed the sand to your geese? I have heard & read that sand just passes through a bird's digestive system without grinding anything or doing anything at all, actually. BUT, considering that yours are sorting through it for the finer grains makes me think that they have some useful purpose for doing so. Interesting!

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#3 2018-01-12 21:54:33

PLB
Growing Member

well they arnt getting any huless seeds any time soon. mine eat sandy grit right out of the river. the have spots they go and eat soil. iv never seen large grit in geese when butchering. by river sand i mean its not like beach sand its very coarse. now plantain, i had it all over i never saw any feeding on it at all. it was so thick i choaked out everything else. iv always had geese chickens and wild turkeys free range. then came steinbachers they ate all the plantain ,they also ate all the pineapple weed, they seem to have taken a resent interest in ground ivy. i hope it continues. iv never seen any sign of worms in any of my birds , never knew about plantain. cool.clpz

Last edited by PLB (2018-01-12 21:55:11)

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#4 2018-01-13 06:43:09

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Disappointed. I thought this was a recipe to ensure Christmas guests did not return again the following year. #fooledagain

#5 2018-01-13 16:58:10

susanr

:rofl: uno

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#6 2018-01-13 17:11:43

niglefritz

:veryfunny:

PLB, maybe they were sneaking small bits when you weren't looking.

Pineapple weed is supposed to make a good tea as well. The whole plant is quite healthy. It is part of the chamomile family. You will have the most healthy geese around! clpz

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#7 2018-01-14 18:24:22

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Uno :LOLOLOL: :LOLOLOL::LOLOLOL::LOLOLOL: Gonna try that recipe!

Board footer