AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-01-12 17:52:13

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

What to grow this year?

I'm sitting here trying to decide what to grow in my garden this year. We divide the garden chores. My wife grows the "kitchen garden" things she likes to cook and things we eat lots of in the summer. Like carrots, radishes, lettuce, beets, onions, parsnips, kale, stuff like that.

On the other hand I grow our hot crops like tomatoes, peppers, corn and cucumbers. Plus things taking a lot of room like cabbage, cauliflower etc.  So I'm looking for ideas along those lines.

I'm also looking for suggestions on things I could grow for the chickens and rabbits.

Any suggestions?

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#2 2018-01-12 18:26:19

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Re: What to grow this year?

You mean like varieties?

Black Ameraucana

#3 2018-01-12 18:45:49

AuntieEvil
Website

This year I am growing amaranth, nigella and sunflowers for the birds.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#4 2018-01-12 19:06:32

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Any suggestions. Varieties, different types of plants, whatever.

Good suggestions AE, I'm going to keep those in mind. What do you with Nigella? I've grown it for the flowers.

#5 2018-01-12 19:22:07

AuntieEvil
Website

Nigella seeds are also known as black cumin and apparently are very healthy. The fact the flowers are pretty is a bonus. Edible flowers are always fun. I like to grow nasturtium, poppies and comfrey as well. There are mixed reviews with comfrey, but I figure if the chickens choose to eat it, it shouldn't be a problem.
I've had mixed success, but loved growing artichoke and eggplant.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#6 2018-01-12 19:36:02

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

I'll be trying rainbow carrots again.  Threw them in as a lark last year and they were great!  Tasted amazing and some were huge (although I think that was from my Huglekulture kicking into gear).

Black Ameraucana

#7 2018-01-12 20:15:44

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Auntie E - you've got me thinking about Amaranth. Are you talking grain amaranth or vegetable? I grew grain amaranth several years ago and we shelled and ate it. I never thought of it for the chickens.  The rabbits would like the foliage I'm. Where do you get seed? I think I got my seed from Saltspring Seeds.
Fowler - are rainbow carrots striped? That would be cool if they were.

#8 2018-01-12 20:28:58

confused
A.C.E. Addicted

I've been reading Mark Shepard's book, Restoration Agriculture. It makes me want to plant more of the cold hardy fruit listed in the T & T Seed Catalogue.  A former neighbor here had Ure pears that produced quite well and this new variety is supposed to be a big improvement on them. I think at Strathmore though you would have to have wind shelter. The southern Alberta winds are what really kills trees. I grew up there and have spent time there in later years so I definitely know the difference between here and there, in spite of the temperatures being close most of the time.

#9 2018-01-12 20:38:58

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I have 2 pears, a Golden Spice and a Ure. They are inside my shelter belt and protected. Most years we get a few pears although they tend to bloom early before the last frost sometimes.

Confused if you remember Strathmore there used to be a CPR Farm here located about where the No Frills grocery store is. They had some huge pear trees. There might be 1 or 2 in the empty lot there.

#10 2018-01-12 23:18:07

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Be careful with the amaranth! We grew it here once and it became invasive. Pigweed is a variety of amaranth.
I grow brussels mostly unsuccessfully but the leaves are yummy and the chickens love the long stalks.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#11 2018-01-13 20:01:17

AuntieEvil
Website

The amaranth I am growing this year is Tricolor Splendens. It is gorgeous, delicious and the seeds are edible. I hope it becomes invasive!
The plant I detest and hope to never see on my property is Japanese Knotweed. Unfortunately many people here think it is bamboo. At least if it were, it would be edible. Horrid stuff. Better that giant Hogweed I suppose, but not far off it.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#12 2018-01-14 18:22:49

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

I grew Jasper cherry tomatoes, they were very prolific, tasty and had no disease. I think they are a shorter day variety  than the 90 days I've seen published for them.

#13 2018-01-15 13:07:18

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

shaneb99 wrote:

Auntie E - you've got me thinking about Amaranth. Are you talking grain amaranth or vegetable? I grew grain amaranth several years ago and we shelled and ate it. I never thought of it for the chickens.  The rabbits would like the foliage I'm. Where do you get seed? I think I got my seed from Saltspring Seeds.
Fowler - are rainbow carrots striped? That would be cool if they were.

Nope, just a vartiety of colours.  This was our haul last year.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22815312_1605594116146122_3025120104953316481_n.jpg?oh=62f9fb618c17395ffc470e8259322bbc&oe=5ADD1E7D

The one thing I learned was to cook the purple ones separate otherwise they all get a purple tinge (still taste fine, just doesn't look too appetizing.

Black Ameraucana

#14 2018-01-15 17:33:57

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Nice looking carrots.
I ordered some Amaranth seed from Salt Spring Seeds. The variety is called Elena's Rojo. A red plant with white seed. I'll report back on success.

#15 2018-01-15 20:45:51

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Thanks for the cooking info on the carrots, I am trying Cosmic Purple this year. Just saw a piece on TV about Sussex. Apparently carrots always used to be purple and then the Dutch manipulated them to produce orange ones in 17thC. Something about a tribute to William of Orange?

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

Board footer