AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-01-05 15:45:24

PLB
Growing Member

Curing potatoes & squash in an incubator

i ment to post this last year but got busy. i use my home made incubator to harden my sweetpotatoes and squash for storage .these need 80 f for 2 weeks to form a hard surface on both so they store well. i took measurements from the old style redwood manual turning incubators . made mine 6" thick for super insulation .i used clear pine for the trays. otherwise its the same incubator. i also hatch in it. we are in the middle of a winter storm here in NS ill take a photo when it stops and post it , i hope, i suck with a computer.

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#2 2018-01-05 16:47:51

niglefritz

Re: Curing potatoes & squash in an incubator

:thumbsup: That is really interesting. We would need a large one to do that!

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#3 2018-01-06 20:34:36

niglefritz

My husband wondered if a smoker could do the same thing with sweet potatoes & squash.

My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#4 2018-01-07 15:00:59

PLB
Growing Member

my incubator is a full size one  ,a cabinet style i built it for goose eggs, ill take a photo. i dont start plants in it just cure sweetpotatoes and squash. i have a friend who uses an old freezer with a light bulb on a thermostat .

Last edited by PLB (2018-01-07 15:03:52)

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#5 2018-01-08 00:17:17

niglefritz

Changed the title, PLB.

Can't wait for the pictures! pics

#6 2018-01-14 16:16:16

PLB
Growing Member

[img]https://s26.postimg.org/rr2lksr8l/IMG_0077.jpg https://s26.postimg.org/i6iyxy4hh/IMG_0078.jpg https://s26.postimg.org/uxx54n96d/IMG_0079.jpg https://s26.postimg.org/h48sfrgmt/IMG_0080.jpg https://s26.postimg.org/mfnp0isfp/IMG_0082.jpg [/img]  this was hard, im real slow on computer stuff,wozhoo

Last edited by PLB (2018-01-14 16:17:19)

#7 2018-01-14 21:12:19

niglefritz

:goodpost: I think you did an excellent job!

#8 2018-02-07 12:31:29

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Way to go Paul.  Incubators work well for curing walnuts too  :)

#9 2018-02-07 21:27:11

Journey's End

How much longer do the squashes last when cured that way versus outside curing? I pick mine in late Sept/early Oct depending on the year, and we're still eating them now, though a few are starting to spot.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#10 2018-02-09 16:28:00

PLB
Growing Member

i wash my sweetpotatoes with a hose in and open bread flat, also my squash. then dip them in a javex mix 10-15% let them dry .2weeks in the 80 f temp. im still eating them now also. this year they didnt come out of the garden in good shape so they wont last much longer. but most years i eat almost all untill mid april. the squash in question is delicata or sweetpotato squash. this is not realy a squash but an edible gourd originally from asia. but some came through italy so delicata. in asia they are known as vegetable gourd . i dont bother with pumpkins as i use them very quickly. before i thought of the incubator i would lug everything into the atic of my garage. it worked but loads of work.

#11 2018-02-09 18:04:37

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

Never bothered w/either

potatoes we dig and wash then spread out on a floor somewhere where is dark for a week or less. store in cardboard boxes in cellar where right around freezing and eat them till next harvest. in fact last season threw a bunch out that were perfectly good when put away new harvest in sept.

usually keep pumpkins and spaghetti squash, they both last a long time in cool not cold basement. in fact ate a spaghetti squash that was going on 2 years old.

never heard of curing either w/heat and if anything heard that pumpkins benefit from a small touch of frost for keeping

onions will peel back to first 'complete' skin and then thread green stems thru stucco wire fencing surrounding garden and let cure for a month or so till green parts are dried. then wind stems that have been shortened to 3-4 ins around a loop of bale twine and hang from floor joists in cellar. also last till next harvest.

#12 2018-02-10 15:22:26

PLB
Growing Member

you must be referring to regular potatoes not sweetpotatoes as without curing sweetpotatoes will rot before the new year. these need to be stored around 50F and dry not cold they will rot again. squash and pumpkins do best at this temp. and humidity also. Im a self sufficiant farmer who has produced all my own food for the past 50 years. in my opinion frost has no benifit to help squash or pumpkins store better. in some cases if the product is not fully mature it will burn and not store. in some cases iv found a really hard frost will harm even mature fruit. but what ever works for you.

#13 2018-02-11 17:25:00

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

ah, thnx

we can't grow sweet potatoes here so never even thought

Board footer