AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-02-12 16:58:17

niglefritz

West coast folks...What did you do?

I have wondered this for a while. When I first wanted to ask, this site was down. What did you do when the tsunami warning went out? Do you have a plan? Being on the prairies, we have tornado warnings, but obviously no tsunami ones.

There were emergency plans in place (however weak and insufficient) when they dammed huge bodies of flood waters in the wide valley within the city in Brandon two different years. People really had no clue what was going on behind the barriers, the experimental nature of the temporary dam and what level the danger really was as the officials didn't want panic. Many nievely said that the city & the govt would protect them. They did have some plans for evacuation & so on, but it was all experimental. We avoided the area due to the flood water's power & super sandbag dam's precarious nature. There was talk just how could a person get out or survive if the dam zippered open. I believe many would have died and it would have been very traumatic. I think (and the officials did recognize) that they were lucky.

I was just curious what you planned to do if you were in the danger zone.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#2 2018-02-13 00:23:28

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

Re: West coast folks...What did you do?

I work in the "danger zone" but live at a higher elevation. The warning happened early morning, I think around 2am. Most people heard about it the next day so had it been a real threat, they would have been in trouble! The southern tip of the Island is relatively sheltered and I live on the east side, I think the exposed west coast has the highest risk. I found tsunami pods manufactured in Washington, you can get a basic two person model for about $13,000.... I wonder if they make one to fit horses, sheep and lots of chickens, oh and a few people as well. I think it's the same as most natural disasters, if you have the resources to keep safe from what ever may come your way, great, but most of us don't. You just do the best you can with what you have.

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#3 2018-02-13 14:39:27

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Crooked Coop wrote:

I work in the "danger zone" but live at a higher elevation. The warning happened early morning, I think around 2am. Most people heard about it the next day so had it been a real threat, they would have been in trouble! The southern tip of the Island is relatively sheltered and I live on the east side, I think the exposed west coast has the highest risk. I found tsunami pods manufactured in Washington, you can get a basic two person model for about $13,000.... I wonder if they make one to fit horses, sheep and lots of chickens, oh and a few people as well. I think it's the same as most natural disasters, if you have the resources to keep safe from what ever may come your way, great, but most of us don't. You just do the best you can with what you have.

I think there is a set of instructions in the Bible.  Probably could reduce the scale by several cubits though.

Black Ameraucana

#4 2018-02-13 16:10:42

niglefritz

:iagree: :thumbsup:

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#5 2018-02-13 18:07:21

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I have a friend who was in the one in Phuket Thailand in 2004. She was having a coffee in a little beach side cafe with an American guy she had met. It was a beautiful sunny morning but sitting there they noticed the tide had gone way out, much further than normal and people were walking way out from shore. She didn't know what was happening but the guy realized something wasn't right. Then on the horizon they saw a huge wall of water. He jumped up and said we have to go and grabbed her. They got on a motorcycle that was parked there and rode away from the ocean just as the wave hit the shore. Some people were fleeing but lots were just standing around watching. She said they kept riding until they crashed then ran with thousands of others until they were inland and safe.  The destruction was unbelievable, hundreds died. She said she was lucky because the American guy saved her, she wouldn't have known what to do.  She went and visited him once in the States after and they kept in touch for years.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#6 2018-02-14 00:05:27

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

I think there is a set of instructions in the Bible.  Probably could reduce the scale by several cubits though

no kidding! :thumbsup:

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

Board footer