AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Recipes
  •  » Method, not recipe: Steamed Eggs, not Boiled

#1 2018-02-27 22:14:01

niglefritz

Method, not recipe: Steamed Eggs, not Boiled

Has anyone here done this with success? It sounds easy and pretty close to foolproof if you want easy to peel eggs. Supposedly it even works well with fresh ones. I still need to try it.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/h … team_eggs/

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#2 2018-02-27 22:54:59

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Re: Method, not recipe: Steamed Eggs, not Boiled

I've been planning to try it but keep forgetting.  An egg client of ours has an "Instant Pot" and says it's great for boiling and peeling even the freshest of eggs

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#3 2018-02-28 01:33:17

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I would be interested to know the scientific mechanism by which steam, as opposed to direct hot water, has any bearing at all on the removability of a shell. Not saying it doesn't, but inquiring minds want to know.

#4 2018-02-28 15:07:07

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

this was in 'cooks illustrated' along w/the scientific reason why. I just remember part of the explanation was with using steam it started at cooking temp while starting w/cold water and also boiling water cooling down below cooking temp due to cold eggs being added but forget the rest of the reason.

It surely does work on all ages of eggs. the only method I use now

BTW the article left out the peeling part the 'cooks' had and that was to leave a inch of water in bottom of pan when cooled then replacing lid and vigerously shaking.

#5 2018-02-28 15:09:03

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

I have tried steaming and it works pretty well.

Here are some tips I have saved from other posts.

I use my blanching pot as a steamer.  Bring water to a boil, add a single layer of eggs in bottom of steamer and steam for 15 minutes.  I have great luck with it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The key is any method that instantly takes the egg from cold to hot.  Steaming or dunking in boiling water both work.  Slow heating of the egg makes it hesitant to release its shell when time comes to peel it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use a spaghetti double boiler with enough water to make steam without immersing the eggs.  I steam for 15 minutes then just turn off the heat and let them cool.  I put in multiple layers of eggs, however many I have, which may be 2 dozen or more.  To peel I just roll the egg under my palm to crack the shell and the whole shell just sloughs off attached to the membrane.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put the eggs in a saucepan and fill it halfway with cold water. Set over high heat. When the water boils, turn off the heat and place a lid over the pot. Let sit 10 minutes. Place the pot of cooked eggs in the sink and run some cold water over the eggs until both the water and the pan feel cool. When the eggs are cool enough to handle, take them out of the water. Roll each egg on a work surface to crack the shell then carefully peel off the eggshells.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fresh eggs are harder to peel when hard-boiled than older eggs
Fresh eggs are harder to separate – yolks from whites – than older eggs.

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#6 2018-03-01 20:48:03

Back2roots
Growing Member

uno wrote:

I would be interested to know the scientific mechanism by which steam, as opposed to direct hot water, has any bearing at all on the removability of a shell. Not saying it doesn't, but inquiring minds want to know.

Uno, Alton Brown explains it well in layman's terms on his blog. Hope it's okay to post the link:

https://altonbrown.com/pressure-cooker-eggs-recipe/

#7 2018-03-01 22:07:57

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Interesting, Back2Roots. I see that the article deals with cooking eggs under pressure, not just steaming them above boiling water. As for me, lacking a pressure cooker I will just boil them and then swear as I chip large amounts of white into the garbage.

Or... I no longer cook eggs in their shell. If I need them for sandwiches or a salad, I poach them, drop the unshelled egg into boiling water and the whole issue of peeling is done away with. This would not work for devilled eggs. But who in their right mind makes devilled eggs? That's just crazy!

• Index
  •  » Recipes
  •  » Method, not recipe: Steamed Eggs, not Boiled

Board footer