AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-02-14 13:02:51

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

how are the squashes doing?

How are the squashes keeping for everybody?  Got a buttercup cross with spots on it, and had  a kabosha go spotty before that.
Still, the other 20 or so are fine and good eating.  I have only one piece left of a small orange hubbard type...my goodness that thing was good  :)  hard rind, more mouse resistant, lovely deep orange flesh, no bitter taste, good dry matter still in february, gotta save the seeds out of that one.  Some of the store bought buttercup seed made squashes that went spotty quite early, Dec or so, all eaten as soon as I noticed spots starting.  Mind you, I have two buttercup crosses, green ones, that are sound and will contribute to the gene pool this coming spring.
Anybody else saving seeds?

:Spring:

#2 2018-03-03 14:45:48

PLB
Growing Member

Re: how are the squashes doing?

i have 4 delicata left they didnt do well this year ,still tasted good just didnt store as well as some years. its the only winter squash i grow.:crying:

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#3 2018-03-03 20:46:09

AuntieEvil
Website

Funny, I was going to ask when you started yours as mine haven't sprouted yet. You are talking storage and I am thinking plant starts.
How do you store your squash to get them to last this long?

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#4 2018-03-04 13:29:57

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Well, I start them as soon as they come up in the porch...most years that's early April.
They have male flowers by the time I put them out.
I don't know if repeated seed selection over the decades improves keeping ability, or perhaps full maturity??

Hard rind gene helps too.  I think selection might have something to do with it.:letseat:

#5 2018-03-04 13:32:12

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

How to store them....umm, here, spread out under a table in the living room.
Nothing special.

#6 2018-03-05 11:49:08

Journey's End

I I have one spaghetti left. We've tossed a few with spots, but not a lot. I had acorn, a couple of butternut types, sweet dumpling and spaghetti. We keep them in our unheated mudroom.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#7 2018-03-05 18:58:40

AuntieEvil
Website

So they will store well pretty much anywhere. That is good to know.
Seed saving for longer lasting squash and better growth makes sense.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#8 2018-03-05 19:34:41

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Yah, no place special....like Journeys End says, mud room, livingroom, any place nobody steps on them.

#9 2018-03-05 23:05:32

AuntieEvil
Website

jocelyn wrote:

Yah, no place special....like Journeys End says, mud room, livingroom, any place nobody steps on them.

Have you had squash slippers?

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#10 2018-03-05 23:18:42

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Yup, squished squashes  :)  Stumbled in with glasses fogged up, step on who knows what, OOPS, squished a squash.:LOLOLOL:
Don't keep them in the porch anymore, grin.

#11 2018-03-06 02:56:39

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

We are still eating squash from last summer.  They are kept in the well house.  A few have spoiled completely and some have gone to the chickens.  We plant some every year, but we usually don't have them to eat this long.  There are not as many mice around this year which helps- partly because more walls and the ceiling are closed in now.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#12 2018-03-06 10:48:40

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Ah, yes, mice.....
That's why I select for the hard rind gene, grin...little beggars.

We had a lot of lath and plaster walls too, and some ceilings on the floor, when we moved in.  Like you, less mice as the lath and plaster went to the dump and gyprock went up.
How far along are you with closing in?

#13 2018-03-11 15:46:34

PLB
Growing Member

i have a shrew i think as no poop. hes been eating my sweet potatoes all winter. it stays with one till its gone. i dont trap it cause they are benificial  they eat mice and bugs.  my house is very mouse proof but shrews are tiny and get in some how ,drive the pooches crazy.

Last edited by PLB (2018-03-11 15:50:16)

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

Board footer