AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Game Birds
  •  » We have been gifted with peafowl eggs. Now what?

#1 2018-03-13 17:00:32

Naaka
Growing Member
Website

We have been gifted with peafowl eggs. Now what?

We have been given 6 peafowl eggs.  They are currently residing in the incubator.  We did a quick search on incubator temperature and humidity, but as this wasn't planned, I don't think we are prepared.  Of course, none might hatch anyways!  We have a nice chicken setup with a spacious coop and the chickens free range with the sheep most of the day.  We have no trees in the fenced portion of the acreage, however there is an old shelter belt at the back of the property, just outside of the fence.  There are also trees visible (at a bit of a distance) across the road. 

So. Can anyone point me in the direction of a credible source of information?  Any pointers?  We don't have flight netting and have no intention of getting any.  Does wing feather clipping actually work and are the peafowl miserable?  What do we feed them?  What have I not thought of that I need to?  I'd love a little help!

#2 2018-03-13 20:14:38

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Re: We have been gifted with peafowl eggs. Now what?

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#3 2018-03-13 21:24:56

Naaka
Growing Member
Website

Thanks=)

#4 2018-03-14 00:22:56

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

They take 28-30 days to hatch, normal humidity. Treat them like turkeys when thru hatch, a little warmer than chickens. Feed them chick start. They can live with the chickens without problems. They're not agrressive. I put a roost up near the roof, leaving them 18"-24" headroom and they will roost above the chickens.  Mine free range and come home each night just like the chickens however over the years I've probably lost 5 or 6 to coyotes after they decided to nest outside the fence. I also lost a beautiful male one time when a friend of mine spooked him and he flew a mile away. We never found him but a neighbour cutting hay baled up tail feathers. So they can fly if they want.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#5 2018-03-14 14:57:08

Naaka
Growing Member
Website

Thanks, that is good to know that they can live with the chickens.  Did you clip wing feathers at all?

#6 2018-03-14 21:12:10

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

mine always lived w/everything else and free range, never lost one running away except like w/guinea's if you get adults or juveniles they should be penned for a couple of weeks till forget their old place then turned loose

#7 2018-03-14 21:37:27

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I never wing clip or anything. They stay home unless really frightened. I had a fox attack one time in the middle of the afternoon and kill some chickens. The peafowl were out with them and all flew up into the trees. When things had calmed down and it was getting close to dark they flew down and went in the house.

#8 2018-03-14 23:27:28

Naaka
Growing Member
Website

I'm so glad to hear that they come home.  I like to keep things simple.  I take care of the basics- mostly food, water and shelter- and the animals mostly take care of themselves.  The prospect of peafowl is exciting and interesting but also a little nerve wracking.  Chickens and sheep are so easy!

#9 2018-03-22 15:18:16

PLB
Growing Member

well iv been trying to post on this post since it was posted. i guess we are still having trouble couldnt even type. any way my experience is the complete opposite of all these responces. sorry to be difficult . i wanted peafowl for years but was to cheap to buy any. then i was gifted eggs . i hatches 6 birds . one was white and i gave it back to the person who gave me the eggs. if i was going to keep peafowl i wanted color .my experience is they will fly away even if hatched on site. they kill chickens. they peck the head till it either dies or gets scalped. they killed 3 hens. they stayed away from my wild turkeys and geese. i hatched some of my own eggs but still the same. they wander off and arnt good with chickens. i finally sold all. they were beautiful though . so my advice is pen chickens away from peafowl. maybe i just had a evil strain .

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#10 2018-03-22 21:25:05

Naaka
Growing Member
Website

Thanks for letting me know about your experience!  We'll definitely need to keep an eye on them and see how it goes.  I'm kind of on the fence with the whole thing.  I like beautiful, but I also like functional and somewhat easy.  Separating groups would not be easy, especially with our set up.  Everyone gets to hang out together on the pasture.  The fences are mostly built with (adult) sheep in mind.  The perimeter is also lamb proof.  The chickens can go over if they have a mind to, although almost never do.  I guess it is wait and watch (carefully!). Our hearts aren't set on having peafowl, so if they end up being a real problem, we'd likely see if we could sell them.

I think 2 eggs are duds.  4 seem to be developing.

#11 2018-03-23 14:07:21

PLB
Growing Member

it wont happen on pasture. it takes place where they are housed at night or over winter. keep them apart then you should be fine. they are beautiful and dance wonderfully. put a dressing mirror in the barn and watch the fun. one more thing, for the size of the egg the chicks are quite tiny and delicate.

Last edited by PLB (2018-03-23 14:09:57)

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#12 2018-03-24 04:29:44

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I'm suprised at the bad luck PLB had.  I've had Peafowl since 2003, as many as 6. I currently have 4, a male and 3 females and they've always lived with the chickens and I've never had one that was aggressive. If anything they seem a bit timid. I have common Indian Blue and Black Shouldered which as a species are Indian. There is another species, Green which are sometimes referred to as Java. They may be different.

As I mentioned, give them their own roost above the chickens. They like to get up high.

#13 2018-03-24 04:55:33

Naaka
Growing Member
Website

I'm trying to think about the roost possibilities.  We have a kind of ladder roost, and the chickens like high, too.  Our chantie roo and his top ladies get the top rung, just under the roof.  During the day, when they are out, I often see other chickens up  there.  I'm sure he would not want to share. Definitely an opportunity for conflict.  I don't think it is possible to go higher.  I'm going to have to think this one through.

#14 2018-03-24 10:12:19

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

We have never had an issue with peafowl and chickens.  They seem to get along very well.  We did have 2 males fly away into the bush next property over.  We figured they were gone forever.  About a week to 10 days later, they were out by the barn, calling to get back in the run.  Perhaps it was because we still had the hens in the pen.  We then decided to clip one wing.  We only ever did that once.  No clipping since.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#15 2018-03-24 13:24:00

PLB
Growing Member

roost the birds on a flat wide board so the toes dont freeze. some say they arnt hardy but the are. just keep the toes tucked under the birds if they curl around a pole the toes could freeze in our canada winters. i always recovered most of the deserters as someone would call and say they had a peacock in their coop. some at great distances. some came back on their own some not. i had one stay out all winter. never saw it untill spring.the person who gave me the eggs kept them in a fairly small coop with chickens and never had any problems that i know of.have fun with your birds im just passing on my experience.:dance"

• Index
  •  » Game Birds
  •  » We have been gifted with peafowl eggs. Now what?

Board footer