AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-04-10 01:57:50

RavenHeart

Costs

Just curious as to what is being charged when birds are brought in .My niece bought farm raised chicken at $4;50 a lb ........you can figure out what a ten pound bird cost ..her hubby was not impressed ! I can butcher my own , i don't sell so that isn't a issue , but between the cost of the chicks , feed , bring them in to slaughter i need to save money somewhere

But for on Ravens wings i take flight ever higher into this my night

#2 2018-04-10 11:07:22

AuntieEvil
Website

Re: Costs

Here they charge $5 per bird to butcher. That doesn't include the cost to deliver and pick up the birds an hours drive from home.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#3 2018-04-10 13:27:28

RavenHeart

That's what they charge here , but there's rumors of that going up !.......i have to travel close to a hour as well one way , but there's people traveling over four hours one way as there are not that many around who butcher , but a lot want the government inspected stamp as they raise to sell

But for on Ravens wings i take flight ever higher into this my night

#4 2018-04-10 13:40:54

PLB
Growing Member

i do my own, but we have a guy who comes to your place and does the deed. we also have a bird abattoir around the corner. they arnt cheap. travel to truro and there is one for cattle, sheep and rabbits. i know they charge $5 to do a bunny, crazy. pigs all they way to Amherst. nova scotia is an ag. unfriendly province. :moneythrow::cull:

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#5 2018-04-10 14:13:50

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Like the pig guy of my youth PLB! Kill and butcher and he took a portion as his fee to sell on.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#6 2018-04-10 15:29:14

Journey's End

Here chickens cost about $4 each to have done. When we did them for sale we'd charge $3.75 a pound. I don't sell anymore because the place we took them was an hour away, so 4 hours of driving to drop them of in the AM and pick them up in the PM, all so they could steal some for themselves. The last year I did them they took 6 out of 29 birds and wouldn't give an excuse as to why my birds were missing. No thanks. We just do our own now, and butcher them ourselves

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#7 2018-04-10 16:17:56

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

WE do our own too, partly because it's hard to book time to have them killed and done up, partly because it's a hour each way for us too..........and then if they grow extra fast, you can't change the date and they get HUGE.  WE have a propane fired huge pot for scalding, thermometer to tell how hot, and a home made plucker.  6 of them take us an hour and a half from capture to all of them in the fridge.  Some of that is chilling time.  A plucker doesn't have to be fancy to do a good job.

#8 2018-04-10 16:23:03

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

We do our own chickens but take our big turkeys in. They cost $10 each. The same place charges $4 for a chicken, $4.50 if they cut it up.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

Board footer