AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Sheep
  •  » Waitng for lambs is worse than...

#1 2018-04-11 00:08:28

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Waitng for lambs is worse than...

waiting for chicks to hatch!

:waiting: First lambing for me, not getting any sleep. Thinking of all the bad outcomes purplezfight. Come on lambs! I'm sure there are more than one, mum is so huge.

Last edited by Sunfeathers (2018-04-11 00:09:29)

#2 2018-04-11 02:33:07

susanr

Re: Waitng for lambs is worse than...

We had sheep for a while.  Sleepless nights here - I feel your anxiety.  Always worried about what can & often does go wrong & how to mitigate it as much as possible.  Checking & double checking the emergency kit.  Wake up often during the night to check & nothing.  Finally catch a couple of hours of sleep in a row & wake up to babies - mom doing fine.  Get looks from mom/moms that say "Nothing to it!  Why were you so worried?  I know what I'm doing."

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2018-04-11 14:51:22

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Yes! The odds are good it'll go well. Mum has lambed without issue before I got her. She just looks so enormous! I'm feeling her pain in advance.

I thought she might lamb last night; she was nervous and pacing the stall when I checked at 4 am. Nope, but she must be close.

#4 2018-04-11 15:52:34

susanr

Sounds like she is very close.  Praying that she delivers during the day for you & you can catch some ZZZZ's tonight.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#5 2018-04-11 18:55:45

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

It's the perfect day today for lambing. The wind is howling, the power has been out a couple of times, and it's pouring rain. I don't know about sheep but the mares we had when I was young were prone to foaling during the worst weather. At least she's inside. I will photograph her because she looks as wide or wider than she is tall! It looks like a monstrous feat to pass that through her tiny hips. I have a shepherd-friend on standby just in case I/she needs help. :duh:

#6 2018-04-11 19:52:11

susanr

The Dexter cows we had would also pick the worst days.  I'm quite positive livestock choose those days just because they like to keep us on our toes.  Glad she is safely inside and you have an experienced friend to give you a hand if needed - that is always so very helpful!

We had one short legged Dexter that was as wide as she was tall when she was pregnant with her first calf.  Hubby was hoping she would deliver while he was on his days at home - she wasn't ready.  When hubby left for work, he asked me what I was going to do if she calved and needed assistance.  I told him I have two close neighbors I can call who have experience pulling calves - no worries.  Two days later, there was an extra head in the herd in the early morning.  Mom had delivered with no issues at all.

#7 2018-04-11 23:15:38

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

I wonder if it's a survival advantage to lamb etc. when the preds are hunkered down in bad weather?

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#8 2018-04-12 02:21:25

susanr

It may be killerbunny.  Although, the bad weather here usually involves very cold temps and the babies run the risk of freezing limbs or freezing to death.

#9 2018-04-12 09:48:51

AuntieEvil
Website

Any new eyes yet?

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#10 2018-04-12 15:34:55

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Nope. I was certain she would lamb last night. She had discharge, was holding her head back periodically. I checked her every two hours. Now she's eating and looking normal. I can't imagine having a small herd of preggie ewes.

#11 2018-04-12 20:29:49

susanr

She may be waiting for some warmer weather?  Or - more likely - she is waiting for you to give up watching.  LOL  Praying she delivers very soon & very easily!

#12 2018-04-13 11:38:46

AuntieEvil
Website

With goats you can tell how close they are by gently pulling up on the spine above the tail. The ligaments loosen as they get closer to their delivery day. Not sure if this is the same with sheep though. If you plan to keep breeding, it may help reduce the stress on you, once you get the feel of it?

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#13 2018-04-13 19:12:21

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

I'll give that a try thanks!

Nothing overnight. She looks a lot more pendulous in the belly today. Obviously, I am much to early in my expectations =)

#14 2018-04-13 20:24:08

susanr

Baby shifting into position for birthing.  Not too much longer to wait!

• Index
  •  » Sheep
  •  » Waitng for lambs is worse than...

Board footer