AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-04-13 22:41:15

Journey's End

Chicken cold

What would I do for them? I brought in 10 ready to lay pullets from the feed store and now all my birds have a cold. What can I give them for it?

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#2 2018-04-14 06:49:41

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Chicken cold

I have posted in the past that chickens don't get colds. I might be wrong.

When mine get the sneezies, I don't do anything. There are two levels of this to watch for. Birds that appear fine in all respects except for the odd wheeze or sneeze. Then there are birds who are sick, sullen, lethargic, hunched, huddled, not eating, not scratching, standing off on their own EYES CLOSED, that is a big one, closed eyes are a very, very bad sign. If your birds are in the second category, you have a much bigger problem. I ignore the first ones and let them deal with it. I would consider culling birds that are actively sick. And keep them away from any of your other birds! Hope it's class one and not class two 'cold'!

#3 2018-04-14 10:34:07

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Did the ready to lay pullets show any symptoms during the quarantine time?   

What symptoms do your birds have now?

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#4 2018-04-14 13:07:18

Journey's End

uno wrote:

I have posted in the past that chickens don't get colds. I might be wrong.

When mine get the sneezies, I don't do anything. There are two levels of this to watch for. Birds that appear fine in all respects except for the odd wheeze or sneeze. Then there are birds who are sick, sullen, lethargic, hunched, huddled, not eating, not scratching, standing off on their own EYES CLOSED, that is a big one, closed eyes are a very, very bad sign. If your birds are in the second category, you have a much bigger problem. I ignore the first ones and let them deal with it. I would consider culling birds that are actively sick. And keep them away from any of your other birds! Hope it's class one and not class two 'cold'!

These fall into the first category. They are fine except for sneeze and wheeze, but not all of them. Production has not dropped, feed consumption is still normal. No hunching or lethargy or anything else. The new birds are fine. They have shown no sign of illness.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#5 2018-04-14 13:18:13

BobG
A.C.E. Addicted

Uno is correct chickens do not get colds . It is a respiratory issue most likely caused by the stress of moving to a new location .

#6 2018-04-14 14:36:43

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

I agree that it sounds more like a reaction brought about by stress of the move, new surroundings. Sneezing can also be a reaction to dusty surroundings, dust and/or mold from straw bedding or dust from shavings. Also the time of season. The transition from winter to spring can cause birds to sneeze more than they normally would.

If it were me and my birds are separated from any other birds, I would continue to keep them separated even if they are past the 30 day quarantine period most recommend. As long as there are no other symptoms other than sneezes and they continue to eat, drink and move around normally, I would just watch. IF you happen to have, you can add vitamins to the water IF you wish. Most feed stores sell water soluble vitamins that can be added to help with stress. Most are antibiotic free. The exception is Super Booster which has penicillin G added to it.
If your birds start to show more serious signs, then you have tougher decisions on what to do.

Taking things a day at a time.

Board footer