AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-05-15 23:42:53

niglefritz

Herbal uses with chickens

This looks very interesting!

http://poultrydvm.com/herbs.php

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#2 2018-05-16 04:17:10

susanr

Re: Herbal uses with chickens

Awesome!  The list of uses for each one apply to more than chickens.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2018-05-16 10:11:15

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Very cool.  I've bookmarked it for future reference.  Thanks!

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#4 2018-05-16 15:26:10

niglefritz

:thumbsup:

If you look at the stuff at the bottom of the page, there is information on ducks, chickens, horses, goats, cows & i think another animal that I can't remember at the moment. Maybe that is all?

My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#5 2018-05-17 03:53:02

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Where does this information come from?  I am not able to find any source material.  They recommend vets and use the abbreviation DVM in their title, but I would be wary of using or recommending any treatment for animals that does not have any basis in fact.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#6 2018-05-17 14:34:23

niglefritz

You have a valid concern. I contacted them about it. I only posted it since I found it interesting. I will let you know what they respond once I have an answer.

What I think is that it could be a place to start & research each item/herb/suggestion more thoroughly. I never take one site's information as full truth, but instead, look for more information elsewhere, seeing if there is a good basis for claims. Not everything may be proven by studies as sometimes there is not the financial interest by a party to make an official study viable, but sometimes can be supported by working evidence.

I like to ask my questions about herbs that I use on a herbalist/naturopath/vet's site. This man uses working knowledge every day in his practice in Idaho and has treated all manners of animals & people over many years and is quite qualified to do so.
http://homegrownherbalist.net

Edited to add that the info graphics have good sources...at least in the poultry area. I have not checked the other animal areas.

#7 2018-05-18 00:42:32

Schipperkesue
Administrator

The original link has plenty of valid information, but also some information that seems to have an animal rights agenda.  It has no scientific links or connections to any evidence based information.  It is very glossy and high end looking and obviously a lot of money seems to have gone into its production.  There is little advertising other than a link to Amazon.  I am interested in what you find out.

#8 2018-05-18 13:40:08

niglefritz

Yes, I did notice a bit of animal rights stuff.

Still waiting on a reply.

#9 2018-05-23 12:38:51

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Did you ever get a response on this, Nigle?

#10 2018-05-23 13:26:19

niglefritz

No, I haven't.

Board footer