AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-06-15 14:30:28

niglefritz

Increasing bird size

If my hens are slightly larger than my rooster, will that make any difference in size to the chicks?

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#2 2018-06-15 22:51:12

lornem
Growing Member

Re: Increasing bird size

Most breeders recommend keeping your largest hens to increase size and choose roosters for egg laying ability.

Better to be dumb as a stump and learn as you go,...than to be a know it all and get stumped:

Live and learn while thinking outside the box.

#3 2018-06-16 04:28:31

niglefritz

Awesome. Thanks!

My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#4 2018-06-17 03:37:36

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Inbreeding (any mating  of relatives) will insidiously reduce body mass over time. The only way to avoid it is by heavy culling.

#5 2018-06-17 12:48:15

niglefritz

My rooster is in no way related to my hens. :P

I like the size of my hens & the roosters I had this past winter. Unfortunately/fortunately I lost the roosters...they could have been related as they came from the same farm. She sold big numbers of these chicks, so I imagine had quite a few breeders. I have no way to know how related they might have been...but they were beautifully big.

I had just noticed that my hens are in fact larger and am hoping to keep up a good size in my birds. I like the majestic look.

Board footer