AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-06-19 21:38:22

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

picked up the meat chicks today :)

Well, 35 cute little balls of yellow fluff.  Pretty soon they will be learning to dust, and will be pink dust balls.

Good bunch of chicks this year, all well hydrated and on their legs well.

Anybody else got theirs yet?

#2 2018-06-19 21:53:01

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Re: picked up the meat chicks today :)

My first batch, 32, are outside on the range already. They were hatched May 1. I just ordered another 15 yesterday for delivery Thursday.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#3 2018-06-20 08:55:35

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

We still have cold weather in May, so wait till it's warm enough to put them out in the bus.  The fox would eat them if not locked up.
I'd love to get two batches, like you, as there would not be so many to pluck at once  :)

#4 2018-06-20 15:34:40

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Mine are a couple weeks old.  They are fat, ugly, and very healthy.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#5 2018-06-20 16:07:31

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

Ours are coming the end of July.  Processing take place after the garden is in.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#6 2018-06-21 02:23:30

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Our first batch is in the freezer (or sold) already! Ate the first a week ago. Sooo good.

#7 2018-06-21 09:40:52

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Yes, that first feed of new crop chicken, soooo good.  We still have 6 left from last year, so we'll have enough till these ones are ready.
I'll be feeding them some of our surplus walnuts pretty soon, puts a really nice taste on the meat.  Right now they have a bag of 18 percent chick starter to get through, so I'm feeding some sunflower chips to boost the protein a little.  The walnuts will come when I can switch to the 22 percent duck starter...they didn't have any when I went to buy the first bag.  Walnuts are lower in protein, but they do flavour the meat, and they seem to help with 'flip over', heart troubles when they are growing like mushrooms.  Ah, chicken and all the fixings real soon  :)

#8 2018-06-21 15:03:39

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

No sooner do I make plans to have meat birds for the first time in a few years, and rebuild the bear destroyed pen, than an idiot bear shows up to terrorize the neighbourhood. Have already chased him out of the hen house once! I don't like shooting wildlife and for the most part we don't. But there are days ...

If I proceed, which is pointless if a bear is just going to rip the door off my hen house, go in and eat everyone, I will get the chicks start of July for butchering early to mid Sept. We like to butcher when the days are nice, but not ripping hot, and after the darn wasps have thinned out. Dealing with carcasses in a cloud of wasps really sucks. I should phone the hatchery now and make plans .....

Board footer