AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-06-03 19:28:30

susanr

Gardening - Finally

Now that hubby is feeling much better and has some energy, we are working on building some permanent raised beds.  We have also marked out where the very large greenhouse is going to be set up.  Yay!  Not much is going to get planted this year though.  I really don't want to plant too much and have it interfere with construction.  I have started some cucumber seeds which are coming along well.  A woman in town was selling tomato plants with proceeds going toward the Humbolt Broncos.  I had ordered 15 from her and when hubby went to pick them up, she had some more.  We transplanted them last week into larger pots - I didn't count how many we actually have though - I think 24 in total.  They are outside in the pots and after the rain we have had, they are doing very well - some are developing flowers.

Hubby picked up a beehive from a fellow in Manitoba last week as well.  Yay!  As we had lost all of ours last winter, it is sure nice to have another hive to tend.

After all the mishigash from last year, it is so nice to have things slowly come back to normal.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#2 2018-06-04 03:34:18

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Gardening - Finally

We have a smaller garden here this year as I'm not going to be able to help.  We did plant some potatoes and more tomatoes than planned.  DW is doing what she can, but she is doing much of my usual poultry and cattle chores.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#3 2018-06-04 10:39:07

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

YAY Susan!  Sounds like things are getting back to a somewhat comfortable place.  Great news to hear. 

We haven't had a garden for a few years now.  We hoped this year would afford us more time but, it has not.  We have 7 or 8 tomato plants in pots.  One is on the deck and the remaining are near the barn.   I have always enjoyed working in the garden, not the weeding part, I dislike that.  I love the taste of fresh picked veggies and the feeling of satisfaction that comes with knowing that we provided for our family.   Our daughter has always had a garden here, even when we have not.  Well, even she does not have the time this year.  Looks strange to see grass and dandelions where garden is supposed to be.  There is always next year I guess.

The bees are a different story.  We have been trying to rebuild from our winter losses.  Picked up 2 Nuc's of Buckfast bees.  This will be our first experience with them.  They seem to be very calm so far.   We have another 3 Nuc's of Italian/Carnolian arriving in the next week or so.  We have also been able to split a couple of our hives that came out of winter very strong.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#4 2018-06-04 12:54:01

susanr

Digging in the dirt is great therapy.  The weeding part - not so much.  We try to mulch as much as possible when we are able to get old straw from neighbors - we heavily mulch the ground in between rows and mulch around the plants - especially around the trees we planted over the last three years.  Last year was a wash.  Earlier this year, I was talking with our neighbor when he brought a couple of hay bales for us and he mentioned he was waiting for a good rain to burn some falling apart flax bales.  I told him please don't do that - hubby can bring the trailer and get rid of them.  They make the best mulch material.  We brought back 5 bales and the neighbor has a few more.  He uses the bales to make temporary corrals when sorting/doctoring calves - the moms can't jump over them and they won't eat them either.  He said he will let us know when he has more broken bales to get rid of.  Yay!

So happy to hear you had some  hives survive the winter MGF - so many didn't.  We had one that was doing quite well until the last blast of winter hit - was very disappointing and sad.  Glad that you are getting more nucs.  The hive we got was one box - hubby went out prior to two days of rain and cleaned up another box for them.  I checked the hive from outside the bee yard and the bees were very busy.  Hoping it grows enough over the next month or two to split.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#5 2018-06-04 17:38:41

Quiltedchicken
Growing Member

You mention using flax straw for mulch.  Do you have to chop it up or can you use it as it comes?  I ask because there was a lot of flax straw left in the fields here and I asked our neighbour about using it for mulch and she thought it needed to be chopped up.  Would you be able to do that with a lawnmower or would it just wrap itself around the spindles?

1 German shepherd/whippet cross, 1 Border Collie/ Newfie cross, 1 Torbie, 1 "Talking" cat, Amercaunas, lohmans, cochins and euskal oilas

#6 2018-06-04 18:28:11

susanr

Quiltedchicken - we just peeled it off the bales and laid it down as is.  Didn't chop it - laid a pretty thick layer though.

#7 2018-06-05 11:30:26

AuntieEvil
Website

Still waiting to garden here. We had another hard frost 2 nights ago, and it is still cold. Everything is in pots and gets moved outside and back into the house or greenhouse regularly. Feels like early April not early June -ugh!
Hopefully cold fall days will come late to make up for our late planting time...

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#8 2018-06-05 12:28:32

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I have done a small raised bed near the house this year as well, Susan.  My two big gardens need a major round up, till and overhaul and this is the year for that!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#9 2018-06-05 16:01:59

Quiltedchicken
Growing Member

Thank-you susanr.  Flax bales that just get burned are far cheaper than having to buy chipped wood mulch and using a local resource!

1 German shepherd/whippet cross, 1 Border Collie/ Newfie cross, 1 Torbie, 1 "Talking" cat, Amercaunas, lohmans, cochins and euskal oilas

#10 2018-06-05 18:50:18

susanr

Yes indeed Quiltedchicken.  If you can find a farmer that bales them or you have a truck that can haul the loose flax, it is a bonus.  Most of the farmers around here don't bother to bale it and burn it in late winter/early spring.  We had one farmer offer us his flax straw - pick it up ourselves off the field and we would pay him $0.50/lb.  Not a bad price but, we had to go get it 1.5 hrs away, load it ourselves and get it all weighed.  Ummm - nope, go ahead and burn it.  It was just a random comment by our neighbor that he does bale flax and he was more than happy to have us take it off his hands - for free.  Yay!

#11 2018-07-02 16:17:09

susanr

The garden is coming along albeit slowly.  Germination seems to be an issue this year.  Planted potatoes-some had long sprouts, some did not.  The long sprouts are leafing out nicely-no sign of the others as yet.  Planted several types of beans, peas and onion sets.  Those were planted nearly 3 weeks ago-I reseeded the beans last Fri.  Went out to the garden just now and some of the "old" rows are just starting to sprout!  We may have many more beans in storage for the winter than we had originally planned.  That's a good thing-hubby REALLY likes beans-as do the dachshunds and I.  I started some cucumber & squash seeds prior to planting the first set of bean seeds and had to reseed those as well.  They have been slow to start as well-do have 12 planted into a mulched mound with at least two more just starting to come up.  I planted three squash plants into the ground this morning as we are going on a two week holiday leaving tomorrow morning.  I am hopeful there will be more to move when we get home.  Have a friend coming to tend to critters while we are away - Thank Gd for good friends & neighbors as we wouldn't be able to go off the farm together otherwise.

#12 2018-07-02 23:26:42

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Gladdens my heart to read this, Susan.

#13 2018-07-03 00:07:38

niglefritz

susanr wrote:

He uses the bales to make temporary corrals when sorting/doctoring calves - the moms can't jump over them and they won't eat them either.

We made a small milking barn with square flax bales one year. We had roof trusses and made a basic frame, made sure the bales were stable, added a door and covered it with a tarp. It held 1 jersey in the middle, stored wheat straw bales on one side, tiny accessible shelter on the other. Those bales lasted a very long time before they settled much (7 years), cut the wind, of course, and added a degree of insulation. It was what we could scrounge & afford. It actually worked quite well. I think that I had heard that mice don't like it. We did find some mice in our barn, but I don't remember it being overrun. I don't recall if they were in the bales either.

In the garden, we found that the bales actually did hold weed seeds, mostly thistle was what came through, but added other weeds too, so be careful where you get the bales from.

In the US, there were problems with some bales being used for mulch & as raised beds. They contained a certain herbicide...I can't recall the name right now...but it made the gardens uninhabitable to plant life. Nothing grew in it and that effect seemed lasting. I have no idea what the spray is (I read about this many years ago) or if it is even used here. There were a lot of very angry gardeners anyway.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#14 2018-07-03 00:30:08

susanr

Thank you, uno!  So thankful that that is behind us - for now at least.

nigelfritz - Haven't had any weeds come up as yet - the cucumbers that I transplanted seem to be doing well.  I'll keep an eye out for weeds though.  Thank you for the heads up :thumbsup:

Board footer