AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2018-06-30 14:28:35

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Day 2 of incubation

11 eggs are in for lockdown - all Basque.  Tomorrow is day 21.  No noise or movement yet so I am not expecting much.  My house has no shade, and is older with little insulation and a lot of windows, so it is hard to manage the temperature in every room.  The basement is too cool and humid for hatching.  I used a north bedroom for most of my hatches, but it didn't have good air circulation and the humidity in the room kept going up.  Also it has a west wall that would get sun most of the afternoon, raising the temperature in the bedroom.

I have the incubator in the same place as last year - on the dining room table (east side of the house).  Last year it worked quite well in that spot, but the weather was different than it has been this year.  I still have to check the temperature often, and adjust the thermostat to compensate for the ups and downs.  One thing I am glad about is that I didn't buy the eggs and have them shipped.  The cost of the loss would be a lot more.

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#17 2018-06-30 18:06:19

yardbirds
Administrator

Good Luck!  Am rooting for you...still love EO's.  :lovedrool:

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#18 2018-07-04 14:56:20

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

41 eggs = 1 chick (probably a rooster)

He hatched on day 23 and seems to be normal so far.

Starting with Blue, Black, and Splash Ameraucanas and Red Cuckoo Basque (Marraduna).

#19 2018-07-04 16:33:26

yardbirds
Administrator

:shock:  Oh no!  :think:  What kind of incubator are you using?

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#20 2018-07-04 19:43:04

niglefritz

How disappointing. I hope it is NOT a rooster. :aww:

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#21 2018-07-06 12:55:25

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

I have a Hovabator.  I'm sure there are several reasons that the eggs did not develop or hatch.  The single chick is active and eating a bit, but I don't think he's growing much.  I had a rooster that hatched late last year. He turned around a lot and didn't grow much.

#22 2018-07-06 13:17:13

yardbirds
Administrator

:think:  I used to have a Hovabator Genesis and always had pretty good hatches with it.  I sold it to a friend who has had good hatches as well.  Is it possible that you may need some new blood in your lines, especially with the EO's?  Wondering if there may be some problem with the vigor of the breed.  I had some shipped EO eggs quite some time ago and their fertility was not very good?  I am just venturing a guess here.  Sorry that you only had one lonely chick hatch.  I recently had a lonely chick that hatched and took it out to friends on their farm, and this chick has been raised alone, rides the farm cats and wants to come in the house at night where its warmer to sleep.  The husband even enjoys the little chick and cat that both sit in his lap as he watches tv.  They have plenty of mature birds and broodies with chicks that all free range but she didn't want to take the chance that this little chick would be rejected and/or killed by any of the broody hens...when she showed the hen and her chicks the new chick at a few days old...she was concerned about that...so it lives in the greenhouse during the day and in the house at night...and she'll integrate it, when its older or perhaps may be a house chicken after all...to her husbands dismay...
:LOLOLOL:

Soldier of Tolerance

#23 2018-07-06 13:30:08

Shnookie
A.C.E. Addicted

Let's see   :think: - a new house that has more stable temperatures would help, some younger hens might help (most eggs were fertile but didn't develop very far), a new chicken building with more stable temperatures would help, a feed supplier who always has the same kind of feed in stock would help, the extinction of fowl mites would help, and more stable weather would help. 

I think letting them sit at room temperature for too long before putting them in the incubator was a major problem.  They were stored at proper temperature and humidity while I was collecting them.

Board footer